Chapter 24

Thank you for 28k! :) Remember to follow the story's twitter account (@simply_kg_) for update news, spoilers, and all that good stuff!

Leave a comment telling me your favorite part so far!

.

.

.

My eyes flutter open, and I start to panic when I notice the change of venue. I look around, and it takes me a good five minutes to remember that I slept at Elena's house yesterday. I then recall the reason; my mother was completely trashed. I have gone through at least a million scenarios as to why my mother would put herself in that level of intoxication. At first, I thought it was merely stress. But when my mom is stressed, she usually just takes a nap and it's all better. So I concluded that it had to be something far worse, I just didn't know what it was yet.

I glance over to the bed to see that Elena is still sleeping. Honestly, I feel like crap. I'm in no mood to spend the day talking to people, as horrible as it sounds. Quietly, I gather all of my things together and slip out the door after leaving a note telling her I felt ill. Technically, I'm not lying, I feel sick to my stomach. I pull out my phone and call my mom to pick me up, praying that she's awake.

"Hello?"

"Hi mom, can you pick me up from Elena's house?"

"Yes, yes, of course... Listen Kat, I'm really sor-"

"I'll text you the address," I cut her off and hang up the phone.

I know it seems a bit rude to hang up on your own mother, but honestly right now, I don't care. I definitely don't want to stand here while she feeds me another bullshit excuse to where she has been and why she was in that drunken state yesterday. Fifteen minutes pass by before she finally pulls up to the driveway. I get into the car and slam the door behind me, not saying a word to her. Halfway home, she finally speaks up.

"Look Kat, I know you're upset but-"

"Upset?" I scoff.

"But I am still your mother," she continues.

"Why mom? What caused you to get so drunk?" I question.

"It wasn't anything serious."

"Well clearly it was! I've never even seen you pick up a drink since dad left!" I yell.

Her face goes pale for a minute, but she quickly recovers.

"Lower your voice."

"Is that what it is? Is this about him?" I fur my eyebrows.

"Kat, let it go," she warns me, her voice dangerously low.

"Do you know where he is? Is he...is he back?" I continue to interrogate her.

"I said let it go!" she screams, making me shut up immediately.

I tense up in my seat at the sudden raise in volume as we pull up to our house.

"Kat.. I didn't mean to-"

"Whatever," I say, getting out of car and running to my room.

Once I get inside, I slam the door shut and lock it; tears already beginning to fall. Without a second to think, I pull out my phone and FaceTime Cameron. Each ring seems to be longer than the last, holding me there in anticipation. When it finally connects, Nash's face appears on the screen, a cheesy smile plastered on his face.

"Kat? Are you crying? What's wrong?" he asks worriedly.

"Where's Cameron?" I choke out.

"Kat, what happened?" Nash insists.