Chapter 91

Do you guys think I should change the book cover?
.
.
.

Nash's POV

I tune out the sound of Cameron's rant to everyone, focusing only on the saddened girl sitting in the back. Her eyes unwillingly show the repercussions of the battle her mind is enduring, and she bites her lip frequently to stop it from trembling. I wonder if she's worried about losing me, but I know better. She's worried about not losing herself.

Cameron drones on, and a few of the guys are ready to leave with us. Carter and Aaron are on the fence about it, knowing that opportunities in our field are risky. I don't blame them. I wouldn't have thought about leaving if he hadn't insulted her. It all comes down to her, doesn't it? 

I notice Hayes looking at her, and I can tell he suspects as I do. I see him make a move towards her, but then decide against it. His head turns back to me, as if wondering why I haven't done anything to console her yet; as if asking permission to console her himself. When I don't make a move, he continues with his original plan. His arm snakes around her shoulder, pulling her close to him. She turns away, and I can tell that she doesn't want to be held. I wonder if she'd turn away from me.

Later that night, I'm outside my room staring at her door. My back rests against the wall of the hallway as it did last night, and my fingers pick at the frayed carpet. Suddenly, her door opens, and I feel a rush course through my entire body. It quickly settles when I see Cameron, a frustrated sigh escaping his lips. It takes him a few seconds before he notices me, and he turns to go back inside.

"Cameron," I call.

He turns back to me slowly.

"We can talk about it."

His mind swirls with thoughts, memories of his best friend clashing with someone whose face was on his sister's. Nevertheless, he slides down the opposite wall, his mouth trying to find the right words.

"She asked me what you meant about her not having a real family."

My blood runs cold. The anger-born words slipped right out of me, ready to attack. I want nothing more than to suck them back up.

"What did you say?" I ask him.

"I said you were just trying to get under my skin," he tells me.

"And she said?"

His hand runs nervously through his chocolate hair.

"She said that she thinks there's more to it, or you wouldn't have said it."

I curse how well she knows me.

"Why don't you just tell her?" I suggest.

He looks up at me as if I've proposed the stupidest idea he's ever heard.

"Just tell her? Are you serious? You know as well as I do, probably better than I do, how fragile she is. She's on the edge right now, and telling her would only push her off."

"She's gonna fall off one way or another. If it isn't this, it's school or her parents. Or you," I say.

"Me?" he asks defensively.

"Yes, you. You're controlling."

"I'm trying to keep her safe," he justifies.

"I think she'd rather be happy," I tell him.

"What? With you?" he mocks.

"With anyone. With me, with Matt. Even with Hayes. The thing is, she doesn't have the option."