Chapter 14

Song for this chapter : Shirtsleeves - Ed Sheeran

"Cameron... They're back."

He stares at me with wide eyes.

"Ma'am are you okay?" the flight attendant asks me.

"What? Oh yeah, I'm fine. Just a bad dream.." I say.

"Okay, let me know if you need anything." She gives a small smile and leaves.

Cameron continues to stare at me.

"Dad?" he asks me.

No, Cam. I dreamt of your best friend murdering me. I can't tell him the truth. I can't tell him that my nightmare was about Nash. I wouldn't be able to explain it to him, hell I couldn't even explain it to myself if I wanted to. Why the hell would I even dream of him killing me? Why did I even dream of him again in the first place? I know for a fact that I'm not scared of him, or at least I wasn't. What could be triggering these awful thoughts?

"Yeah, dad," I say.

"What happened?" Cameron asks.

"It was um.. You know, the usual," I lie again.

I hate lying to him, but I can't let him know.

"What exactly is the usual Kat? You never tell me the details," he calls me out.

"You know Cam, I really don't want to think about it," I tell him and stare out the window.

Thankfully, our flight will be landing soon. I just have to avoid the subject for the rest of the night. It's already close to midnight and I'm tired and sick of not being able to sleep; especially when it's Nash's fault.

"Please fasten your seat belts and prepare for landing," a flight attendant announces.

Finally, I think to myself. I stare out the small window and admire the many lights that illuminate the night. This state is so beautiful, especially from this view. I watch as the plane lowers and lowers until it finally reaches the ground. The flight attendant tells us that it's okay to take off our seat belts, so I do. Cameron and I grab our bags and get off of the plane. I stay close behind him as we walk through the airport searching for the exit. When we finally find it, we hail a taxi and head straight to the hotel. While in the car, my phone vibrates.

'Still heading out tomorrow?' It reads from Nash.

Shivers rake down my spine at his name. No, I tell myself, I'm not scared of you.

'Actually I'm already here' I send.

I will not be afraid of Nash just because of a little dream I had; I'm stronger than that. I want nothing more than to rest my head and have a peaceful sleep, but I know better than to count on that. I will probably have another nightmare tonight; whether it is of Nash or my dad, I don't know. Hopefully, it's my dad. I wouldn't be able to handle seeing Nash as a murderer every time I see him.

'Why so early?' His text says.

'Why not?' I reply.

I wouldn't dream of telling Nash my situation at school. He'd tease me, maybe even search for the actual picture of my exposed chest. He'd remind me of it every second of the day. Magcon is my escape from reality, and I intend to keep it that way.

'That's not a very good answer, Katya.' The new message reads.

I roll my eyes.

'Why are you so annoying?' I type and send.

I mentally beg the driver to speed up so we can get to the hotel already. I'm already feeling sick and this car ride isn't helping at all.

'Why not?' he mocks my words.