Chapter 90

10 chapters to go... 😱
.
.
.

Kat's POV

Sunlight shines through the cracks of my tired eyelids, and I squint desperately to rid the morning from my comfortable darkness. Nevertheless, I fail as my eyes flutter open. I rub them fully awake, and a snoring Matt comes into view. I picture Hayes there instead, wondering how he slept tonight. Wondering if his nightmares have stopped. I sigh, sitting up and facing the shielded curtains. My head spins and my vision blurs for a second, and I close my eyes until it passes. Slowly, I open the curtains enough to peek through, taking in the foreign city. Cars line the streets, the city up and running at merely seven thirty. I smile a little before closing the curtains and welcoming the darkness once more.

I tread to the bathroom and get in the shower, rinsing all my tenseness away. My hands come across my wrist and I stare at the marks, tracing over them gently.

"Can't you see that if you leave me, I'll never recover?" he whispers.

"Can't you see that if I stay, I'll never be the same?"

I lean back against the wall, hot water running down my bare stomach. My hand subconsciously fumbles with my pendant, and I close my eyes. What if he's not my soulmate? I dare to ask. Would I really risk everything to be with him? My mom would never talk to me again, neither would Cameron. My real soulmate would be alone... Nash's soulmate would be alone. Who else would be Nash's soulmate? I know it wasn't Charlie; I know it for a fact. So what other girl would be graced by this beautifully tortured boy? By my beautifully tortured boy. I shake my head, the thought sickening me.

Turning off the shower, I grab a towel and wrap it firmly around my figure. Carpet welcomes my feet as I sift through my suitcase for some clothes.

"Morning." I hear, and I jump, the grip on my towel tightening.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," Matt laughs, and I give him a playful evil eye.

"What time did you wake up?" he asks me.

"Maybe... forty minutes ago?" I reply, pulling out a pair of high-wasted, polka dot shorts.

"So you're an early bird then?" he asks.

"I guess I am now," I say softly, remembering the days I'd wake up lazily at eleven without a care in the world.

I find a white top with lace lining and pull it out as well.

"I'm sorry for Cameron," he tells me, and I whip around to look at him.

"What?"

"I mean... I can tell you love him. Forcing you with me wasn't my idea... or choice really," he says.

"Everyone has a choice, Matt," I tell him, finding my sandals.

"Not this time... It's complicated."

I stand up, gathered clothing in hand.

"Well I appreciate the apology," I say before heading off to the bathroom.

Nash's POV

I'm still staring at the goddamn ceiling by the time light hits the windows. I finally get out of bed around 8:00 and head to the shower. I let the warm water rinse away my evil thoughts, and I so desperately wish I could throw my pendant down the drain. I know I'm not the one for her, and it kills me every second of my god-forsaken existence. My hand reaches the shower wall, and I look down at the droplets forming at the ends of my hair. What do I do?

I step out into the cool breeze, a towel wrapped securely around my waist. Everyone is still sleeping when I'm out, so I change into some black, ripped jeans. I search for my usual black t-shirt, but all of them are dirty. I pick up a white one, cringing at how bright it is. I sigh, throwing it over my head before stepping out into the hallway. I run a few fingers through my wet hair until it sticks up in the way it always does. When I pass her door, I hear laughter, and it takes me a minute to figure out whether I'm imagining it or not.