Chapter 80

Hey guysss I love reading all of your comments!! Honestly, that's the best part of my day (even though it makes me look absolutely insane when I'm laughing so hard in public). But anyways, thanks so much for everything! I hope you enjoy! ❤️
.
.
.

Nash's POV

"Yeah, it's this house on the left," I tell the taxi driver, who then pulls into the Dallas' driveway.

It's late afternoon, yet it's already pitch black outside. As I get out of the car, Hayes following close behind, I notice that their porch lights are off. I look around at all of their neighbors' illuminated porches, and an unsettling feeling erupts in my stomach.

"Hayes," I say as the cab driver takes off, "if I'm not back in ten minutes, go to one of the neighbor's houses and tell them to call the police."

"What? You're not going in there," he tells me.

"I have to, Hayes. It's her."

"Yeah, and you're you as in my brother! Are you insane?"

"I think we've established that already," I say, giving him a little smile.

"This isn't a joke, Nash," he says, crossing his arms.

I sigh, placing my hands on his shoulders.

"I have to make sure they're okay. I'll be fine, Hayes. I'm not gonna leave you again."

Hayes looks at me, worry filling his clear, blue eyes.

"Promise?" His voice cracks slightly at the end.

"I promise," I tell him before pulling him into a hug.

After a few seconds, I pull away and look at the house.

"Remember what I said," I tell Hayes before walking up to the door.

I raise my hand to knock as he walks away, but that feeling in my gut tells me to just barge in.

So I do.

I let the door close softly behind me, as I squint my eyes through the darkness. I hear shouting coming from one of the rooms, though I can't make out which room exactly. I try to recall what Kat told me she used to do when her father came for her, and something about hiding under her bed comes to mind. I feel around for the railing and find it, following it up to the second floor. When I reach the top, I hear footsteps running across the hall downstairs and doors closing. Goosebumps run up my arms as I close my eyes, remembering the promise I made to Hayes moments ago.

"Kitty Kat," I hear from downstairs, "where are you?"

Bile rises in my throat, my fists clenching by my sides. I go into her room and check under her bed, panic coursing through my veins when I realize she's not there. A shaky hand runs through my long hair as I contemplate going down there and beating the shit out of that poor excuse of a man. Heavy footsteps treading up the stairs freezes me in place, and I quickly put my back against the wall. I take a quick look to see where he is, but my breath is stolen from my lungs when I see her long hair whip around to the source of the noise. Her face fills with fear, and she walks towards her room, just out of my reach.

My heart jumps when I hear a gun cock, and Kat freezes, clearly unsure where to go. Dan is right around the corner, and that's where she's headed. As she passes her room, I put a hand over her mouth and pull her into me, her eyes locked on mine.

"Nash?" she whispers as I uncover her mouth.

"I'm here baby, I'm here," I tell her, and her eyes brighten with hope.