Chapter 64

Thanks for 280k!! So close to 300k!!!!
.
.
.

I make it home with a few bruises, some scratches, and very irritated eyes. Cameron questions me about it, but I shrug him off as I don't want to worry him. I know he'll try to keep me from going to school, and Elena needs me. My feet take me to my room where I lock myself in for the rest of the day. My books and notes are spread out on my bed, but I can't seem to stray my thoughts away from the traumatic scene in the hallway. I can still feel the burning of my eyes, the helplessness I felt while they tortured me. My phone is in my hand within seconds, hovering over his contact yet again. But I can't bring myself to it as I know that the moment I hear his voice, I'll break down. I decide to dial Hayes instead, lying on my back as it rings.

"If this is about Nash, you might as well hang up now," he answers.

"Geez, what crawled up your pants today?"

"Is it?"

"No, actually. God forbid I have a bad day and want to talk to my best friend," I tell him.

I hear him sigh.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to take it out on you," he says.

"Take what out? What's wrong?" I ask him worriedly.

"They took Nash into custody."

I shoot up at his words.

"What do you mean?" I ask him.

"I mean they came to our house and arrested him a few hours ago," he tells me.

My body stiffens.

"So he's... in jail right now?" I barely whisper.

"Nobody told you?" he asks me.

"Why would anyone tell me?"

"I don't know... but his trial is next week," Hayes tells me.

"This is bullshit!" I yell.

"I know. I think you should be there though," Hayes says.

"At the trial?"

"Yeah. I think he needs you."

My heart sinks at his words.

"Of course I'll be there," I assure him, though I'm not so sure myself.

"Good because I... I need you too," he says, his voice cracking slightly.

I feel my eyes water at his words.

"I'll be there Hayes, for both of you. It's gonna be alright," I say.

"Okay," I hear him sniff, "okay, you're right."

"Don't worry Hayes, he's gotten through so much more than this."

I hear a knock on the door.

"I just don't understand why bad things always happen to him," he tells me.

I get up and open the door, telling Cameron to wait a second.

"Bad things happen to good people, that's how the world works. Call me if you need anything else Hayes, okay? I don't care what day or what time it is, you call me," I tell him.

"Okay... I will. Love you."

"Love you too, bye."

"Bye."

I hang up and stare at Cameron who's leaning against the doorframe.

"Is everything okay?" he asks.