Chapter 96

When I started this book, I was in a bad place. This character reflected me, which is why she eventually became depressed. I guess these past months, I've been happy. I didn't want to go back to her depressing world... But she's a part of me. I can't let her go yet... So I hope you enjoy. 
.
.
.

Kat's POV

Nash hasn't spoken to me for three days. When I woke up on Monday, he wiped his eyes frantically and enveloped me into a hug. I could tell he was afraid to let go, afraid that I'd put him in that awful state again. He didn't speak to me after that. The second day, I went home. I didn't dare go into my room, the scarlet stains still prominent on my carpet. Cameron gave me permission to sleep next to Nash; he refused. Instead, Hayes took me in and we spent all night talking and crying and hugging. He apologized for getting mad at me, and my heart dropped to the bottom of the ocean. I lost it, bursting into tears at the pain I've caused my best friend. I could only imagine what his brother is feeling.

And now the third day, today, Nash sits across the room unable to look me in the eye. My gaze lingers, eyes tracing his body through the thin, white t-shirt he borrowed from Cameron.

"You're staring again." Hayes comes up behind me, causing me to jump.

"I can't help it. When do you think he'll talk to me?" I ask him.

Hayes shovels more cereal into his mouth, his eyes traveling back and forth between Nash and I.

"I think you need to talk to him," he tells me.

I sigh, wanting nothing more than to tell him how sorry I am and how much he means to me.

"I don't get it. When I woke up, he didn't want to let me go. Then suddenly he's pushing me away?"

Hayes takes a seat next to me, setting his bowl down in front of him.

"You have to look at it from his side, Kat. He almost lost you, which would've killed him. And he sees your attempt as you not caring about losing him."

I put my chin in the palm of my hand, my elbow resting on the table. Doesn't he know that he's my world?

"Why aren't you mad?" I ask Hayes.

"Because I get why you did it. I don't know how you didn't do it sooner, to be honest. That doesn't mean I agree with it, but I understand," he says.

I nod, twiddling my thumbs. Maybe I should go talk to him now. I look over at him, the beautifully broken boy, with his messy morning hair and eyes brighter than the sun. Why did I do that do him? I slowly make my way over to him, hiding my wrapped up wrist behind my back in shame.

"Hey Nash," I almost whisper.

He looks at me briefly, mumbling a "Hey".

"I was wondering if you wanted to talk?" I ask.

"Not really." He pushes around his cereal.

"I meant, um, could I talk to you?" I've never been nervous with him and I don't like it.

"Maybe later," he tells me, leaving to take his bowl to the sink.

I sigh, my body deflating.

"So... How'd it go..." Hayes puts a hand on my shoulder.

I glare at him and he backs away slowly. Cameron joins us, his hair still wet from his shower.

"Can I go to school today?" I ask him. 

"Why would you want to?" he asks me, grabbing an apple from the counter.

"Because I need to graduate, we've been over this."