Chapter 100

The Final Chapter.
.
.
.

"Nash?"

I walk over to him, and he stands in front of me with his hands in his pockets and his shoulders raised. He looks unsure of himself, as if his thoughts are arguing over whether he should be here or not. I wait for him to say something, but when he doesn't, I speak.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

He sighs, looking to the side before focusing on me again.

"You were right," he says. "You were right about everything. I've been... terrified to forgive you because you hurt me more than Charlie ever did. I didn't think anything could."

He takes a step towards me.

"But I also realized that it was because I love you more than I ever loved Charlie."

His words inflate me, and I can breathe again for the first time in months.

"Then let's do this, Nash." I take his hands. "We can be together."

"I-"

"It's not that simple," Cameron says, and Nash's face drops.

"Why not? Tell me why you're so against this, Cameron," I demand.

He ignores me, looking at Nash.

"You know why this can't happen," Cameron tells Nash.

"No, I'm done with it. I'm done with the system. I love her, more than I will ever love anyone," Nash says.

"Wait... are you.. are you not my soulmate? I thought you never took the tape off of your necklace?" I ask him.

"I haven't," he says.

"Then what are you talking about, Cameron?"

Cameron sighs, running a hand through his hair as if stalling his own words.

"Look," Nash says, "I get nightmares every time I'm not with you."

"I know that," I say.

"Do you know why?" he asks.

I pause, thinking about all the theories I've conjured up in my head. And yet, I shake my head no.

"It's my pendant telling me that you're the one for me, that there's nobody else I'd rather be with than you," he says.

"So, you're my soulmate then," I conclude.

"But Kat," Cameron says, "there's also a reason you get nightmares whenever you're with him."

"It's your pendant's way of rejecting me, saying there's someone out there who's better for you," Nash explains.

"How can your pendant be telling you we're soulmates and my pendant be telling me we're not? It doesn't make sense," I say, grabbing the metal heart.

"I don't know, it's like the system is malfunctioning or something. I don't think this has happened before," Cameron says.

"Then it's my choice. I can live with nightmares for the rest of my life if it means living with you," I tell Nash, holding his gaze.

"I can't do that to you," Nash says, looking at his shoes in guilt.

"You're not doing anything to me, this stupid necklace is," I say, wanting nothing more than to just yank it off my neck and be with him.