Chapter 68

Oops did I use Jet Black Heart again? I did... Sorry it's late, been busy.
.
.
.

I groan, landing hard on my back. My arms cross around my body as I slowly roll over, the dirt under me shifting slightly. My eyes are squeezed shut in pain, though I can't recall how I even ended up on the floor. My hands are slowly placed on the floor as I push myself up, resting on my knees. I look around in the darkness, able to make out the figures of trees and various shrubs. I wince as my salty sweat mixes in to the gash on my arm that I hadn't noticed until now. The scarlet red trickles down my arm, staining my dirty skin.

With a deep breath, I stand all the way up and dust myself off. I'm not really sure where to go, seeing as I have no recollection of how I ended up here. Suddenly, I hear a deafening scream, causing me to jump back; my heart race increasing dramatically. I look around for the source, but the shadows hide away whoever the distressed lady is. Another scream rings throughout my ears, and I conclude that it came from the right of me. I slowly turn and stare down the path, but the cry for help sounded so vaguely familiar that my curiosity was peaked.

My legs seem to start moving before my mind catches up as I see the trees slowly start to fall behind me. I look around, almost desperate to find someone else out here. I hear the bone-tingling shriek again, much closer than before.  Before I know what's happening, I'm knocked to the ground. I grunt and look up at the girl who lay on top of me, confusion washing over my features.

"Kat?"

She scrambles up, choking on her tears.

"Come on!" she screams at me, pulling me up.

"Kat what's wrong? What are you doing here?" I ask her.

"We have to go!" she yells again, taking my hand and sprinting off.

I struggle to follow her, my sides starting to hurt due to the fast paced action.

"Where... are we... going," I ask in between pants.

She doesn't answer and keeps dragging me along behind her. A small cabin comes into view and my eyebrows involuntarily fur in confusion. I hadn't noticed that before.

"What is this place?" I ask as she drags me inside, locking the door.

She paces around, her feet slightly padding against the hardwood floor.

"Kat, why are you out here?" I take a step towards her.

She jerks back suddenly, causing me to freeze. She looks horrified, as if I was going to hurt her. I raise my eyebrows at her, and she looks down at the floor.

"Baby what's wrong?" I ask, remaining where I am.

She slowly meets my gaze again, the look of worry still imminent in her big, brown eyes.

"My um..." she trails off, twiddling her thumbs, "I just thought I heard someone."

"Where? Why were you running?" I ask frantically, not sure if I should try to be closer to her again.

"Well there might've been someone... chasing me," she whispers.

"Chasing you?" I ask, stepping towards her.

She doesn't flinch away.

"You mean... Dan?" I ask.

"I don't know, maybe. But I-" she starts, but she's cut off when someone knocks on the door.