Separation Isn't Fun

Having to go back into your room every night was definitely not your cup of tea, but you'd have to stay monitored to make sure you wouldn't accidentally cause damage when you slept. Mainly for the sake of your partner, in case you heated up well past normal levels. But it's not like you stayed separated the whole time, as you'd be cuddled up well enough over the covers until you had to return back to your room, or Loki to his. Sometimes, though, you'd fall asleep while with him, and Loki reluctantly but eventually would carry you back to your bed.

Considering you had to keep a bracelet on both of your wrists, it should have been enough for either one of you to be alerted to any problems, but Tony felt that it would be safer to test them out for three weeks.

And it had only been four days since you had put them on.

Though, part of you wondered if this was just Tony getting back at you and Loki for practically having sex in his car.

And on top of that, he had fired you, literally. And then told you that you were now under the protection of The Avengers. So, you were their ward, in a way.

It just sucked that you and Loki couldn't sleep in the same bed during actual sleep, but Cookie was keeping him company considering he slept the least between the both of you anyway.

Tonight though, as you were deep into one of your weird dreams, you were temporarily awoken. Your sleep infused eyes only opened for a second as it happened, and your fog-drenched mind swears that you see Loki with blue skin and red ruby eyes getting into bed with you, but your only response is sluggish and fueled by whatever dream you had been in.

"Loki.. a butter knife is still as good as a steak knife, don't be sad that Thor got first dibs on the hot plate at the buffet." You feel an arm go around your midsection and pull you up against a firm body, and cool lips pressing against your forehead before you're lulled back into a deep slumber.

*****

(Loki's POV, ten minutes prior to entering your room)

"No! Please, Thanos, kill me if you must but don't hurt her!" Loki pleads helplessly to a huge brute that has his back to the prince. Taller than he was, bulkier than Thor, more purple than Midgardian grape jelly, and more ruthless than anyone Loki had ever met.

Usually, the nightmares Loki would have of this encounter with the Mad Titan would be from the memories of torture and pain that he endured. How his mind would be as broken as his body with the difference in pain far and few between. A literal God, shattered to pieces and nearly stomped into dust under the boot of this genocidal maniac. Forced to do his bidding by the ways of the mind stone within the scepter Loki had been gifted ever so nicely.

Loki would do it again in a heartbeat, if that meant you were safe.

But now, this memory has changed to one of pure terror for the prince. One with anguish that has such a tight grip on his heart he'd believe it is ready to explode at any moment.

"Are you in love with such a simple creature? She was only of use to me until her pure energy was depleted, yet you still beg to have her returned to you." Thanos's voice rings out among the floating rocks and thick stone that somehow form a throne room, all of it dark and unfeeling from the tone in his voice to the dead cold of the stones under Loki's already broken frame.

Slowly, he turns to face Loki, and in one hand is you, held up by your hair trapped within the titan's purple fingers as your feet dangle just above the ground. Loki's own fear is mirrored through your eyes, as fresh tears run down your face freely. "Does this weak mortal truly mean so much to you, Odinson?"