Keep Your Head Up

Six months. Six slow, excruciating, unbearable months.

That's how long it's been since you were taken. There had been no way of tracing your location. No way of knowing your condition. Every possible lead was a dead end. Every tiny sliver of hope pulled away.

The team is still actively searching for you, but nothing feels as frequent like it had been when you first disappeared, or for the first couple of weeks. Having to break the news to your mother had been the worst of it. That once again, you had been taken away from her.

Strange could only do so much with his own powers of magic and spells, but risking using the Darkhold  was something that he couldn't allow. And having to keep it from Loki was harder than keeping it locked away in its rightful place.

"Going down this path would only cause more harm than good, Loki. You may inadvertently kill her. The Darkhold twists your mind, and will control you faster than you could ever control it."

Exhausted and guilt ridden ruby red eyes stared down at the promise ring that lay in the center of a deep blue palm.

The only source of light even remotely coming into the room were the flashes of lightning from the ongoing storm over New York. But no sound getting produced was reaching his ears. Not even the soft knocking on the door from one of the teammates disturbed him.

Inclining his head forward silently while hunched over, messy raven locks shrouded Loki's sight for a moment, curtaining the view of everything within his peripheral vision until he shut his eyes and blocked everything out completely.

Everything except the memories he had shared with you.

You and Loki were laying together in bed during a rather bad storm, facing each other as you lay on your sides. Cookie was fast asleep between both of you, Loki's hand gently stroking her down her back.
You were staring at him softly with a content smile, making the mischievous God smirk softly. "You don't have to say anything, I know my looks alone are enough to charm anyone into a stunned silence."
Your smile widens a bit more, before you reach up and softly dance your fingers against his jawline. "I love seeing you, Loki." "I know, it's hard to deny the beauty I behold."

You roll your eyes playfully before moving to lay your head closer to his. "I meant that I love seeing you like this. I see you. The real you." Loki's playful grin falters before disappearing as he stares at you, noticing that you still have the same look in your eyes.

"The real me..?" The question slips from his mouth softly, laced with an unsure tone as his eyes study your expression. But you aren't faltering in any way, if anything your eyes become softer the longer you look at him.

"Yes, and I don't mean just physically, Loki." You tell him, caressing your thumb over his cheek slowly. "Everything about you. Your kindness, your intelligence, your mischievousness even. And not just that. Your attention to detail, the way you keep your head held high, how you can help out the others in the most gentle of ways even when you're playing around.

You're a beacon of light, to me, you're more precious to me than anyone else ever could be. You're someone that deserves more than what's been given to you, that deserves all of the best things in life... And I want to give you that life. If I had the power to, I'd make your life the best."

Staring at you, Loki's gaze softens with love and fondness, before he's moving closer so that your foreheads are touching. "You already are giving me the best life."

"Brother.."

Being broken out of his thoughts, the smell of a freshly cooked meal reaches his nose. But Loki ignores the pains of his hunger, not having an appetite strong enough to want to stomach the food. Thor is crouched down in front of Loki, a sadness in his eyes as he watches his brother's deterioration.