His Side of the Story

The sound of constant sniffles coming through the thin concrete wall from the next room was what first caught his attention.

He had only ever heard the constant scribbles of pens on clipboard paperwork, or the soft chatter of the adults in lab coats walking around outside.

But this, this was different.

One of the usual doctors in a lab coat opened the door to his very plain and stark white bedroom, their eyes blocked out by the glint coming off of their glasses.

"====, It's time for another round of tests." The doctor told him, and he got to his feet obediently to follow them out. Despite his young age, he was highly intelligent already, understanding more things than even a young teen could.

That's when he saw you. It was a quick peek at first, but it was enough to know that you had just come from the research room. Multiple tiny dots covered almost every inch of your arms and neck, and he was sure that there was more hidden under the hospital gown covering your tiny and frail body.

But your back was to him as you rubbed the tears from your face, not noticing him as another doctor was reprimanding you for crying so much.

Continuing to follow his own doctor, he looks up at them. "Who was that?"

The doctor flipped a few pages on their clipboard. "She isn't important right now. But, she will be your neighbor considering she's just turned six."

He blinks. "She's as old as me?"

"Yes. Tomorrow you both will start undergoing the same tests. Come now, let's get your vitals checked first."

He nods, and sits in the metal chair that he sees every day. Holding his arms out, he only winces a few times as he's poked and prodded with different little testing needles.

He doesn't actually see you until the next day, and his eyes widen a bit when he sees your face. Instantly, he feels smitten, but he doesn't understand why. Maybe it's because he might have a friend, but he knows better than to get attached so quickly.

None of the others brought in ever survive. Not as long as he did with the more powerful tests. So for the first few days he doesn't try to know who you are, and he even gets annoyed by the fact that you keep crying from every test.

But, you're surviving the same way he is. A few high fevers, but you're alive and faring well.

"You'll get used to it."

You look up from crying in the corner as he talks to you, rubbing at your eyes once again. He was a couple of inches taller than you, and had more confidence. He sits next to you, his eyes staring into yours. "Even though it hurts, you shouldn't cry every time. Okay?"

Sniffling helplessly, you look down at the tiny fresh dots on your arms. "B-but... What if I can't?" He sighs, rubbing his head and shrugs. "We could play a game if you want."

"A.. a game?" You ask, tilting your head. He nods, glad to have gotten your attention already. "Yeah." You hesitate, before nodding softly. "O-Okay... I'm Y/N... What's your name?"

"====.."

*******

Months pass by quickly the more you two hang out and become friends with each other. Even during research tests, or when it's time to eat. The doctors didn't mind you two being together, running even more tests.

"What do they keep doing this for?" You ask, your arms and legs covered in bandages as you scratch the hives on your neck, a side effect from one of the newer tests run on you.