14

Elsa

"So, why exactly can't Asher come and get me?" I asked again. I was in Nicholas's office, trying to knock some sense into that thick head of his.

"I don't like him." He replied curtly and he continued to look through some papers that were shatered around on his desk.

"Well, I do!" His eyes snapped to mine, giving me a firm look. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Antonio will drive you." He said as a final order.

"Why do you want to trouble the poor man by going back and forth? I'm just going to my dad's and spending time with him. before I leave for home in a few days." I had made myself comfortable on his desk, watching him go over a list of numbers. The list was so long with an endless number, it made my eyes hurt.

"He will be staying with you. For protection."

"That's dumb... Protect me from what? My own father?" He sighed and put down the papers to look at me.

"I won't be able to be there with you as I have to take care of something. Antonio with you will give me one less thing to worry about." Nicholas explained.

Now, I kind of felt bad when he said that. I liked that he was worried about me but he was still being ridiculous. I was pretty sure Asher was more than capable to give me a ride safely.
"Fine ... Where is he then? I want to go now." I gave in.
"Outside, waiting. I'll walk you out."

We walked out to the huge driveway, and sure enough, Antonio was there next to the car, waiting for me. He looked like the type of man you would see on a fashion runway with his dark, dirty blonde hair, blue eyes, and short beard. He wore a white dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a pair of casual jeans.

Antonio gave a firm nod when we approached him, and he opened the backseat door for me. Before I could even get in, Nicholas wrapped his arm around my waist and pressed his lips to mine. It was a long, sweet kiss that had me melting completely in his arms. We are behaving like we know each other since forever! And it's a good feeling.

"Behave." He told me when he pulled away.

"I always do." I grinned.
I suddenly realized he had kissed me in front of Antonio, having me feel a little shy about it. But Antonio didn't seem to mind as he walked around the SUV and got in the driver's seat. I stole another kiss from Nicholas before saying bye.

We had been driving for a while now and neither of us was talking. The radio was playing softly in the background and now I just felt kind of awkward just sitting in silence.

"So, Antonio..." I started. I didn't really know what to say to him but maybe I could get to know him a little better. They were all so dark and mysterious and always wore blank expressions.

He looked at me through the rearview mirror, and my mind went blank. All of a sudden I didn't know how to make a small
conversation.

"Uh, I'm sorry for troubling you like this. I'm sure you had other things to take care of." I gave him a small apologetic smile.

"It's fine." One cold, curt answer. I sighed quietly to myself. I guess none of these men were really a fan of any type of conversation.

"How long have you been working for Nicholas?" I tried again. I knew it was a long shot with this question, but I guessed I preferred awkward conversation instead of silence. Then he went silent, and I thought he wouldn't answer me.

"Since day one. We grew up together." I nodded. It made sense. then why he was one of Nicho's most trusted men. Well, I just assumed he was because wherever Nicholas went, he was right there with him.