48

Elsa 

My entire body felt heavy. So heavy I couldn’t move a finger.

I was surrounded by darkness and I wanted to open my eyes. but I couldn’t. It felt like I was trapped in some way, not being able to move and not being able to feel a thing either.

My entire body was numb.

I could hear voices. Very faint voices but I couldn’t make out what was being said or who it was. I wanted to say something but nothing came out. I wanted to know what was happening to me. What was wrong with my body?

Suddenly, a wave of tiredness washed over me and put me into a deep sleep, making me forget about everything else.

I was slowly coming out from sleep but my body was still feeling heavy and… in pain. I felt pain everywhere. My head was pounding and my stomach was killing me, keeping me down.

There was a different feeling on top of my hand. It was kind of heavy too but not the kind of heavy the rest of my body was feeling. I tried to move my hand to see if I could make out what it was but only a finger moved. I heard some movements before my hand got a small squeeze before something touched my face.

I slightly leaned into the touch, a small sound escaped my lips when I wanted to say.

“Elsa, baby, wake up.” I always recognized his voice, feeling at ease knowing he was with me.

Everything hurts I wanted to say but I still couldn’t.

I tried to see if I could move my hand, feeling myself giving a half squeeze to his.

“You’re doing good, baby. Take your time.” He spoke so softly to me while he caressed my head.

After some time, I slowly opened my eyes, blinking a few times with my heavy eyelids while trying to let my eyes focus on my surroundings. It was dimly lit as I looked around the room, confused as I noticed it was a hospital room. I turned to look to the side and saw Nicholas.

We didn’t say anything as we looked at each other and I saw him visibly relax. He looked at me with this…pained expression, making me frown a little as to why he would look at me like that. I lifted my hand, placing it on his cheeks as I caressed him, noticing how tired he looked.

He closed his eyes as if he had longed for my touch, and placed his hand over mine, kissing my palm.

“Wha -” I winced in pain and stopped talking when my throat hurt and was painfully dry.

“Shh, don’t talk if it hurts. I will give you some water.” Nicholas  poured a glass of water and grabbed a straw.

“Small sips.” He instructed. I tried to do so but the cool water running down my incredibly dry throat felt so good that I emptied the glass a little faster than I should have, having me now feel a little nauseous.

I tried to move a little only to immediately groan out in pain. I felt like I had been hit by a truck over and over again.

“Don’t move, you have a bruised rib. I’ll call for Mikka  and let her know you’re awake.” He pressed a button to the side. I licked my dry lips as I tried to figure out why I was in so much pain.

“Wh-what happened?” It came out as a half-whisper. My voice was hoarse and cracked a little as I tried to speak.

“… You don’t remember what happened?” Nicholas  frowned a little when I shook my head. He kept my hand in his when the door quietly opened and Mikka  walked in with a smile on her face.

“Good to see you’re awake. I’m just going to examine you and ask you a few questions.” I gave her a small nod as she flashed her penlight into my eyes, making me rapidly blink at the sharp light.