77

Nicholas

I slowly started to gain consciousness when I heard faint voices around me. The burning sensation was still present, spreading all over my abdomen. I felt someone tapping my cheek and I opened my eyes. My sight was unfocused and I saw shadows above me, seeing their mouths move as they talked to me, but I couldn’t make out what they were saying. I tried to move but clenched my jaw and grunted out in pain instead.

“I got you. You will be fine.” My sight finally focused when Antonio came into view, talking to me.

“Elsa… I need to get to Elsa.” I felt hands trying to stop me from moving but I shoved them away, clenching my jaw hard as I pushed through the pain to get up.

“We need to get you fixed first. You’ve lost a lot of blood.” Antonio prevented me from moving.

“I… don’t care… She needs me.” I growled out and tried to push them away.

“You can’t help her if you’re fucking dead!” He shouted in anger.

“I have to get the bullet out of you. Bite down on this.” He put a piece of cloth into my mouth, and I had to take a deep breath to prepare myself for what was about to happen. Arms held my body down to the ground while Antonio took out his knife. My entire body tensed and I bit down hard on the cloth as I endured the pain. My voice was muffled as he carved into me, and I could feel beads of sweat covering my face.

“Almost there. Hang on.” It felt like I was giving one extremely powerful punch with a knife, giving a blow after another without having a single break and leaving all the air out of my lungs.

I closed my eyes to let my mind focus on anything but the excruciating pain I was feeling.  And then I stopped feeling anything, mesmerized by something else.

Soft, long brown curls entered my view, swaying in the wind as the ends kissed my face. They belonged to the most beautiful pair of sparkling green eyes I had ever seen in my life. Her rosy, plump lips were in a dazzling smile, laughing as I watched her run so carefree on the beach. Warmth spread inside of me, feeling my heart beating faster as a smile found its way to my lips.

What have I done in this life to deserve heaven sending me the . washing over her face.

An angel, so bright with fiery colors.

“Can The Devil find me?” She chuckled lightly with that teasing look in her eyes.

“Always. I will always find you, my love.”

“Don’t you fucking die on us!” My head was violently slapped to the side, and I finally opened my eyes, gasping for air. My chest was rapidly moving up and down as I took in my surroundings.

“Shit, that was a close call.” Giovanni sighed in relief.

“I got it out but we need to get you to the hospital -” Antonio got cut off.

“We found explosives! Get away from here, now!” They wasted no time in pulling my arms over their shoulder as they hoisted me up to my feet. I clenched my jaw through the pain, grunting as they hurried away from the castle with me.

“That bastard really wants to wipe us all out once and for all.” Logan  sneered.

“Did everyone get out?” My voice was strained as my breathing came out fast.

“Save your strength. We got it under control.” There was nothing I could do but take their words on it. It pained me to see the fall of my men. Their lost lives were in my hands as I failed to protect them as their leader.