70

Elsa

“There she is, my beautiful daughter-in-law.” Eleonora greeted  me in Italian with her usual warm smile as she opened her arms and embraced me.

“How are you, honey? Is my son taking good care of you?” She had her hands placed on either side of my face and took a good look at me.

“Never been better! And don’t worry, he’s always taking good care of me.” I chuckled when she gave an approving nod.

“Good! If he doesn’t, you send him in my way and I will teach him a lesson.”

“Duly noted.” We both laughed and she linked her arm with mine and made our way inside.

“Is it always this empty in here?” I asked, looking around

“Is it always this empty in here?” I asked, looking around. The boutiques were open but there were no people present except for the ones who were working.

“Oh no, honey. I had them shut down for us to shop in peace.”

“You can do that?” I asked surprised and impressed.

“Of course.” She shot me a wink and led me to a gown boutique. As soon as we stepped inside, a well-dressed woman immediately walked toward us with her arms open.

“Buongiorno, Signore Donavan!” She greeted Eleonora with kisses on each cheek.

“Buongiorno, Corinna! How have you been?”

“Wonderful! Oh, and who’s this with you?” Corinna looked at

“This is Elisabeth, my son’s fiancée.” Eleonora said proudly with a smile.

“Oh, could it be Nicholas’s…?” She asked a bit unsure.

“Sí.” Eleonora’s whole face brightened and Corinna’s brows went up in surprise.

“How lovely! Welcome, welcome!” She suddenly embraced me and kissed my cheeks.

“Thank you.” I smiled at her cheerful greeting.

“Let’s find you some beautiful dresses, shall we?” She gestured for us to follow her to a different section of the boutique.

“I hope you don’t mind that miss Miciela is still here. She was here earlier and suddenly, nothing impressed her when she found out you were coming.” Corinna sighed.

“Oh, Miciela? Not at all.” Eleonora dismissed with a smile. Corinna gave a small nod and we entered a room with large mirrors, couches, dressing rooms, and refreshments already on the table.

“What are we looking for?” Corinna asked once we were seated on the couch.

“I need a dress for Dante’s and Tessa’s wedding.” I said, assuming she already knew about it.

“We need three new dresses for her.” Eleanor said and sipped her champagne.

“Three dresses for a wedding is a bit too much, isn’t it?” I asked.