62

Elsa

My heart was thumping behind my chest in nervousness. Though I couldn’t help but look at Nicholas with a soft look and a smile on my lips at how he introduced me.

The love of his life.

It made me let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding as he gazed lovingly at me. His mother and grandmother were visibly still in shock at the sight of me, and trying to process what Nicholas had said to them. I could tell Nicholas got his looks from his mother with her grayish blue eyes and her dark shoulder-length hair. She was incredibly beautiful with her tan skin as she wore a light copper-colored halter-neck dress.

His grandmother was an elegant woman, standing tall with her dark brown eyes and black hair pulled into a bun, and wearing a long-sleeved dark green satin dress, making her look nothing less than royal.

Not intimidating at all.

“It’s nice to meet you.” I greeted them with a smile, squeezing Nicholas’s hand to hide my nervousness.

“My goodness, aren’t you a beauty!” His mother beamed in happiness and pulled me in for a hug. I got surprised but chuckled in relief as I hugged her back.

“Thank you.” Her compliment had me shy and I felt my cheeks flush. She placed her hands on either side of my face to look at me with a soft smile, her eyes were truly sparkling with happiness.

“Così bella. Don’t you think, madre?” She stepped to the side for his grandmother to look at me. She had me feeling slightly intimidated as her dark eyes looked at me from top to toe. I bit down on my lip in nervousness when she didn’t say anything, having my heart thump faster. I looked at Nicholas but he looked calm and relaxed and I took that as a good sign.

His grandmother slowly walked up to me, placing a hand under my chin, turning my face slightly from side to side as she examined my face. She then let out a smile and turned to look at Nicholas.

“Very beautiful. You did good, my child.” She winked, making him let out a smirk as he turned to look at me.

“I know I did.” He placed a kiss on my forehead and lightly caressed my cheek. He drew me in with his eyes, making me forget about everything as my heart filled with warmth.

“He’s completely captivated by her.” His mother whispered with a chuckle, making me snap out of the trance he had me in. I helplessly blushed when I noticed they had been looking at us while we were in our little bubble.

“Take a seat. I want to hear all about how this happened, and how long you’ve been hiding her from us.” His grandmother raised a brow at Nicholas.

He pulled out a chair for me and took a seat next to me. Servers that I hadn’t even noticed came forward and set up plates and glasses for us before serving us food. The look and the smell of the food had me salivating, and I just realized how hungry I was.

“Eat, I know you’re hungry.” nicholas  said quietly to me and gestured to the food on my plate. He didn’t have to tell me twice before I dug in as elegantly as I could.

“Buon appetito.” His mother smiled and gave me more food.

“Now, tell us, Nicholas....When did it happen and why haven’t you told us?” His grandmother took a sip of her wine, ready to interrogate and get the details spilled.

“I’m telling you now.” Nicholas  rested his arm behind me, giving a sly smile to his grandmother.

“For how long?” His mother asked excitedly.

“She was already in my life the last time I was here.”

“Nicholas!!!!” His mother scolded him.