20

Elsa

I blinked away the tears. I didn’t want to cry in front of them and my head was also hurting too much to be crying. I removed my gaze from my hands and looked up to see Nicholas with his hands. in his pockets, staring at me and once again, not showing what he was thinking or feeling.
“Okay, you’re all set here.” I looked down to see Mikka had bandaged my foot. I had been too lost in my thoughts to realize what she had been doing.
“From what I can tell, it’s not broken but I would like you to come to the clinic to do a proper check-up. Until then, do not support your foot and rest a lot, okay?” She smiled at me, and I gave her a small nod back. She went back to her back and grabbed a wipe and gently started to dab around on my brow.
“I really need to stitch you up now.” I scrunched up my nose at the thought of being sewn in the freaking face.
“Fine.” I mumbled. I was feeling a bit more relaxed now. Whatever she had given me, was working. She put on a new set of gloves and grabbed the needle driver and tissue forceps and came close to my face. Out reflex, I smacked her hands away from me, almost making her drop the things in her hands.
“Try not to hurt my wife.” I looked to the doorway and saw Antonio standing there, observing the whole thing.
Wait, what?
“She’s your wife?!” I exclaimed. I immediately looked at her hands to find a ring but didn’t find one.
“It’s around my neck in a necklace. I can’t always wear a ring as a doctor.” Mikka explained when she noticed what I was looking for.
“Huh, how come I didn’t know you were married?” I asked Antonio.
“You didn’t ask,”
“I’m pretty sure I asked, and you were like ‘I would rather not have you ask me questions.” I told him and tried to imitate his voice.
“That sounds like Nino.” Mikka laughed.
“Aww, she calls you Nino? That’s so cute!” I smiled.
“You can’t call me that.” Antonio told me with a blank face and I pouted.
“Why not? It sure makes you less scary – Ow!” I yelled when I felt a painful pinch on my brow. I was too busy teasing Antonio I didn’t notice Mikka had started to stitch me.
“Don’t move!” She said as I tried to lean away from her.
“That’s it! I’m holding her.” Arianna got fed up and sat behind me. She held my head to make sure I wouldn’t move again.
“Let me go, it hurts!” I tried to move away but Arianna had me in a strong grip. She was surprisingly strong! Did she bench press or something? How in the world was she this strong?!
“Stop making faces, you will get a scar. I’m almost done.” Mikka scolded while continuing to torture me with her stpid needle.
“Ow, sit! It hurts!” I complained. I clenched my jaw when I felt another painful pinch.
“Stop being a baby!” Arianna hushed me.
“See, all done now.” Mikka let out a breath and stepped back right when I thought of kicking her away from me.
“Already? Oh, that wasn’t too bad actually.” I said impressed. Mikka gave me an ‘I told you so’ look and Arianna finally let go of me.
“She’s the most difficult patient I have ever had.” Mikka said to Nicholas with a smile while shaking her head.
“Come to the clinic tomorrow, and make sure she gets plenty of rest and doesn’t move around too much. I have a feeling she’s the type to defy orders.”
“You have no idea.” Nicholas and Antonio said at the same time and I gaped at them. Arianna let out a laugh at their comment and I flipped her off.
I couldn’t be totally defensive about it when it was true so far…
I went to lie down when a sudden feeling of exhaustion hit me. Mikka packed her bag and made her way to Antonio whose eyes followed her every move. He took her bag from her and kissed the top of her head before they both went on their way.
“So cute…” I mumbled tiredly, struggling to keep my eyes open.
“That did not make me feel lonely at all.” Arianna sighed and she walked out of the room as well. I let out a small chuckle at her comment and got comfortable as my eyes closed. The bed was so soft and practically sucked me in, which my aching body was grateful for.
A blanket was pulled over me and I felt the bed dip next to me, fingers lightly caressing my face. I opened my eyes and saw that

Nicholas’s gaze was focused on my now stitched-up brow.
“Get some sleep.”
“What about yourself? You haven’t slept at all.” I had no idea how he was still awake and not looking tired at all when we both didn’t get any sleep the night before. I was ready to sleep and not wake up for the next ten days.
“You don’t need to worry about me.”
“A bit too late for that now.” I gave a small smile, and a corner of his mouth lifted a little. He leaned down and pressed a small kiss on my lips.
“I’ll send Arianna in to keep an eye on you.”
“Okay.” I was a bit disappointed that he was going to leave but I didn’t want to sound like a needy little girl. I let out a sigh and closed my eyes while enjoying the way he was caressing my face, having sleep come to me in no time.
The sound of faint voices disturbed my deep slumber. I moved around a bit on the bed to get comfortable and resume my sleep. Just as I was about to fall back asleep again, someone barged into the room. I quickly sat up with a scream and my heart almost jumped out of my chest. I jumped when an arm wrapped around me and pulled me back into them. I turned my head to see Nicholas glaring at the person who had barged in like that.
“What the fck happened to you?!” Tessa’s voice filled the room and I put a hand on my chest in relief. For a moment, I thought the guy who attacked me found me to finish me off. Arianna called after Tessa, telling her she couldn’t just barge into the room like that but
she ignored her.
“My goodness, look at your face.” Tessa cubbed my face, moving my head from side to side to examine.
“You almost gave me a heart attack!” I smacked her hands and scowled at her, only to wince in pain when a throbbing feeling began from my brow. The skin was tightened uncomfortably and it was painful.
“Don’t touch it.” Nicholas stopped me when I was about to.
“I feel like I have been hit by a truck.” I groaned. I leaned back and rested on the headboard. My body felt heavy and in so much pain. It was much worse today.
“You look like it too. Who did this?” Tessa continued.
“Please, stop yelling. My head is about to explode.” I complained and closed my eyes. I was too drained of energy and in too much pain to be interrogated right now.
“Keep your voice down, she needs to rest. Dante, get your woman out of here.” Nicholas almost snapped and I opened my eyes just in time to see Dante getting Tessa out of the room. She wanted to say something about it but took a look at me and decided against it and left quietly.
“What time is it?” I turned to look at Nicholas, only to realize he was shirtless.
What a treat for the eyes.
“It’s seven.”
“Typical of Tessa always barging in this early.” That woman had nothing better to do than waking up early and bothering me.
“When did even you come?”
“About an hour ago.” Nicholas’s arm glided around me to lay me down and pulled me closer to his chest.
“Go back to sleep.” I felt him draw smooth circles on my back, having me snuggle into him with my head resting on his bicep as I slowly felt sleep come to me again.
“Already there…” I mumbled into his chest, and I drifted off to sleep.