16

Elsa

I sighed as I slipped down into the bathtub I had filled up with bubbles. I leaned back, resting my head, and closed my eyes, letting the hot water work its magic on my sore muscles and aching feet from yesterday’s activities.
I made a mental note never wearing flats to an amusement park ever again.
I was tired and I could feel myself getting sleepy. I hadn’t slept a wink at all last night which definitely set its trace on my face. Every time I would close my eyes, the sound of gunshots would echo in my mind, and I would jump in startlement and my eyes would snap open. I spent the night with my head on Nicholas’s chest, listening to his heartbeat while tracing some of his many tattoos with my fingers.

Nicholas didn’t sleep either as his hand kept going around in smooth circles on my back. It did calm me down and in any other circumstances, it would have put me right to sleep. I doubt he was awake for the same reason I was.
It was what he did for a living after all. It really made me wonder what a man like Nicholas  must have gone through to be able to shut everything down and just…kill.

My heart ached as I pictured Nicholas as a kid with the very same look I had witnessed yesterday. How could someone be so fucked up… to take an innocent child and turn them into a person who doesn’t even blink when it comes to taking another person’s life.
He became a dangerous, skilled, cold-hearted assassin. And any person with a bit of common sense knew to stay hundreds of miles away from a person like him. Yet, I went to him for comfort and protection.
Did that make me naïve or just plain stupid? I haven’t decided yet.

At some point, I freshen up and wore confy shorts and oversized shirt
Nicholas went off somewhere after ordering room service for me. He didn’t say where he was going and I was too tired to interrogate him. Not that he would tell me anything anyways.

“Oh shit, you scared me!” I put a hand up to my chest and let out a breath when I saw Logan on the couch. He was half asleep before I yelped and woke him up.
“Sorry, the couch sucked me in.” He sat up and ran a hand through his jet-black hair. I have seen Logan around a few times before but never really talked to him. I liked that he was dressed casually in a white t-shirt and jeans. It made him seem normal.
“Yeah, it’s really comfy.” I chuckled a little. I went to the service cart and grabbed a cup of coffee. I must have been asleep for a while as it was cold. Still, I took a sip but immediately grimaced. It was not good at all.
“Where’s Nicholas?” I decided to ask and took a seat in the armchair in front of Logan.
“I don’t know.” He looked at me with his hazel eyes as he leaned back.
“Really?” I raised a brow, not believing him.
“Yeah.” He gave a half smirk and I rolled my eyes.
“You know, there’s this café just around the corner with some really good coffee.” I started.
“No.” Logan immediately said, barely letting me finish my sentence.
“And why not?” I really needed some caffeine if I was going to that auction tonight.
“Boss’s orders. You’re not leaving the room.” He shrugged.
“You would be with me? And that’s me assuming why you’re here, to keep an eye on me.” I pointed out.
“Ah, you see, they told me to be careful with you.” He crossed his arms with a teasing look.
“With me?”
“Dario and Antonio said you have a way to get what you want.” I couldn’t help but smile a little as I remembered how I practically forced Dario to give me Nicholas’s number and told Antonio just to follow me in his car while I drove Asher’s Aston Martin.
“It’s literally around the corner. We’ll be back right away.” I promised.
“Nope.”
“You look like you could use some coffee too. They have great sandwiches too.”
“Sorry, can’t do.”
“Fine, I’ll just tell Nicholas that you’re letting me starve.” It was a cheap shot but I really wanted that coffee.
“You have food.” He nodded to the cart.
“It’s cold and soaky.”
“Then order something.”
“Come on! It’ll take the same amount of time if we just went down to the café and get what we want. Thirty minutes tops!”
“No.”
“I haven’t slept all night, it’ll be your hell.” I challenged him.
“Good. It’ll give me something to do.” Logan grinned. I gave up. He wasn’t going to budge and I was too tired to try and convince him.
“So, we’re just stuck here for how long?” I got comfortable and sat crisscrossed on the armchair.
“They should be back right before we have to leave for the auction.” I looked at the time and saw that it was only eleven am. There was still a long time since we had to leave around seven pm. We sat in comfortable silence while I zoned out, lost in my own thoughts.
“Are you okay?” Logan asked and I looked back at him.
“About last night.” He elaborated.
“I’m fine… just shocked, I guess.” I was freaked out, and that was for sure. What if I had been alone? They would have snatched me and there would be nothing I could do about it.
“How did you guys just pop out?” I thought we were alone as I didn’t see them anywhere, and Nicholas didn’t mention them either.
“We’re always around. We kept in the background to give you privacy.”
“I see.” I said impressed. It was a bit creepy, but I was still impressed they had managed to keep out of sight.
“How old are you?” I randomly asked. When I really did look at him, he seemed to be a bit younger than Antonio and Nicholas.
“27.”
“Oh, nice. Are you in a relationship?”
“I am. We have been together for three years now.” He gave me a smile at the mention of her.
“That’s nice.” I smiled back. Also very happy that he was answering my random questions without seeming annoyed by them.
“Does she know what you do?”
“I expect her to know since she’s related to Nicholas.” Logan  laughed. I raised my brows in surprise.
“Oh wow. I did not see that coming.” I chuckled along with him.
“Yeah, he gave me hell for it when I commented on her in his presence. I didn’t know they were cousins. But ever since, I couldn’ t keep away from her.”
“That is so cute! I’m happy for you.” I beamed. I was a sucker for romance and that sounded too cute to be true.
“Thank you.” He smiled warmly.
“You know, you’re different from the other men who usually are around Nicholas. They are all so serious it’s terrifying. I tried to start a conversation with Antonio once, and he shut me down immediately. I think he hates me.” I said and cringed at the awful attempt to make conversation with him in the car.
“He doesn’t hate you.” Logan laughed at me.
“You don’t need to lie to me. It’s fine. I know I can’t be liked by everyone.” I gave a small shrug but he shook his head.
“You don’t get it. He was just being careful. We all thought you would just be a one-time thing and we wouldn’t see you again. Guess we were wrong.”
“And who says this isn’t a one-time thing?”
“You’re not fooling anyone.” He looked at me amused.
“It was a genuine question.”
“You really don’t know much, do you?” He leaned forward, resting his arms on his thighs.
“We are all ordered to protect you with our lives if something were to happen. Which means you’re not going anywhere.” My eyes widened at the information. We didn’t have a label on…whatever we were at the moment, but the thought of them having to sacrifice their lives just for someone like me did not settle well with me.
At all.
“My life is not worth more than yours.” I shook my head at him, displeased about it all.

I guess only time will tell.
After chatting a bit with Logan , I decided to get my hair and makeup done early so I wouldn’t have to worry about it later. I decided to wear my hair up in an updo, low on the back of my head with a few loose strands around my face. It was a backless dress, and it would be a shame to have it covered by my hair.

I was drained of energy after that and had to order some coffee and something to eat since I actually was starting to feel starved. I had asked them at the reception if they by any chance had any card games. They didn’t but they were happy to get us something.And now I am just chatting with Logan when I see Nicholas who waching us with cliching jaw.He didnt like logan talking to me in friendly manner i thik.He order Logan and Antanio to leave.When we finally alone,He didn’t say anything. He looked down at the robe I was wearing, pulling it slightly to the side. His expression hardened when he saw I wasn’t wearing anything underneath.
“Get dressed, we’re leaving soon.” He turned around and walked into the bedroom with me hot on his trail.
“Wait -” Nicholas ignored me as he went to the bathroom and slammed the door shut. I stood there, gaping at the closed door. I felt my blood start to boil at his actions. In pure frustration, I kicked the door.
Hard.
I bit my lip as pain shot up in my right foot and tears appeared in my eyes.
“F*ck!” I erupted in a whisper and limped to the bed.

.

.

.

══✿══╡°˖✧✿✧˖°╞══✿══