63

Nicholas 

I walked out to the backyard and took a seat on one of the sunbeds by the pool. I pulled out my pack of cigarettes and lit one, looking up at the balcony where Elsa’s room was.

My grandmother had made it clear to me that I was not to step anywhere near Elsa’s room during the evening because the Devil will lure us and tempt us to commit unimaginable things. Too bad it was my favorite sin to commit with the love of my life. And I knew she was keeping an eye on me right now, which was why I was out here, killing time and waiting for her to fall asleep. That woman never failed to treat me like a boy instead of the man I’ve become.

“Why is my son sitting out here by himself?” My mother was making her way toward me, always having a warm smile on her lips.

“I’m waiting for Nonna to fall asleep.” I explained as I took another drag as she sat on the sunbed in front of me.

“Of course you are.” She let out a small laugh.

“She made me pray and splashed Holy Water on my face.” I shook my head and my mother tried to hide her laugh behind her hand.

“That’s Nonna for you. You know how she feels about doing anything before marriage, and the whole ‘you need to be pure’ for your better half.”

“I will have to disappoint her on that part.” I gave her a smug smile to which she shook her head in amusement.

“As long as you keep it yourself. She’s going to have a heart attack if she hears that!”

“I know.” I smirked as I finished my cigarette.

“Elsa’s wonderful. She’s such a bright person and I can see just how happy you are with her. I’ve never seen you this carefree before with…” She trailed off, unsure if she should say it or not.

“It’s fine, madre. You can say her name.” I told her. Her brows slightly raised at my answer.

“Does she know about Sienna?”

“She knows.” I nodded. Her name didn’t bother me anymore when it got mentioned. She was someone I had shared my life with for a short time, and I got consumed with anger when she died. I couldn’ t tolerate hearing her name after that. They were trying to take down both of our families, thinking it would be my downfall to watch her die in front of me.

And they were so dead wrong about that.

But I have moved on. I had done her justice, captured her killers, and ensured they paid for what they had done. It was time for me to let go of that part of my life.

“That’s good. I can tell why you fell for her. The brighthoney brown eyes she has and I bet she keeps you on edge.” My mother chuckled.

“You have no idea how many times she has made me question my sanity. She’s stubborn, barely listens, and is too curious for her own sake. Everything that I hate but… it’s her. I don’t know how she did it but she captured me, especially with those eyes.” I smiled as I talked about her. Elsa had all those characteristics hated, but somehow she was making me love them in her.

“She does bring a different side out of you that I haven’t seen before. It has been too long since I have seen you happy, and words cannot describe how overjoyed I am to see you like this.”

“She made me a whole new man.” I admitted. My mother’s eyes teared up as she looked at me with a small smile.

“Ma, don’t cry.” I chuckled and wiped away her tears.

“Oh, hush! There’s nothing else in the world that makes a mother happier than to see her children happy. My job is done.” She gave my cheek a light pat.