85

Elsa

I didn’t think it was possible to feel more miserable than this. But I kept being dragged down into an endless, dark hole while drowning in fear and pure devastation.

I was exhausted.

Exhausted from everything that happened and exhausted from every single piece of information thrown at me. I still haven’t even processed the fact that Geotano wasn’t my father. And then everything else followed as if trying to give me a heart attack by exposing the brutal truth to me.

That my entire life has been a fucking lie.

Twenty-five years old and I was suddenly having an identity crisis that appeared out of the blue. For so many years where it has just been me and my mother, living life together. But it turned out I didn’t even know who she truly was.

My mother, who I thought I witnessed die, was somewhere in this safe-house.

Well, and alive.

I thought I was hallucinating when I saw her. Or maybe I was seeing a ghost. Or maybe I ended up in hell and this was my punishment. To be tormented by my mother for failing to protect her, and letting her die…. I couldn’t understand it, but she was right there in front of me. It freaked me out so much that I just had to get away.

And now, I was going through the same thing that had left me absolutely shattered.

I was physically and mentally exhausted. My body was feeling heavy and all I wanted to do was to curl up in bed and just  sleep, and hopefully wake up to something normal.
To something that wouldn’t make me feel so fucking miserable and heartbroken again.

Nicholas stood still, looking at me like his entire world just crashed. Tears silently went down my face.

“I’m sorry…” I whispered to him, feeling my chest tighten as the pain only got worse. I had failed once again.

Nicholas ’s eyes narrowed, almost looking furious with me when he closed the distance between us. He cupped my face, looking at me firmly.

“It’s not your fault, you hear me? Don’t ever blame yourself when this is entirely out of your control.”

“How can I not?” I sniffed, feeling defeat overwhelming me.

“You told me before to take a test, and I didn’t because I didn’t want to get disappointed. And now… Now, it’s gone before we have even -” I couldn’t take it anymore as my voice cracked. Nicholas  pulled me into his chest, letting me cry out my pain while he comforted me, whispering soothing words to ease my suffering.

“Baby, there was nothing we could have done… Even if we knew. I’m sorry you have to go through this again…” He sighed. I looked at him, choking on my sob when I saw sadness in his eyes. It was also hitting him hard because he didn’t care to hide his feelings like he usually did.

“How bad is it? Are you bleeding a lot?” His brows narrowed in worry. I wiped away my tears and shook my head.

“It’s not like last time. It’s more spotting and I’m cramping a little. I thought I was getting my period, but then you said the test was positive…” I sat down on the bed with Nicholas , feeling like my head was about to explode with the banging headache I had gotten.

Right now, I just wanted to lie down and not wake up before this nightmare was over.

“Let’s get you to the clinic.” Nicholas   said quietly and I gave a short nod but didn’t make any move to get up. I rested my head on his shoulder as he wrapped his arms around me and placed a kiss on top of my head. I closed my eyes, mustering the courage to face what was going to happen to me again.