44

Elsa

After taking a shower and getting dressed in my nightgown, I made my way downstairs where I saw my mother had already lit the fireplace for some coziness.

I couldn’t help but feel a little empty now that Nicholas  wasn’t here anymore. It was crazy how fast I had gotten used to him being around me to the point I would feel a little lonely whenever he wasn’t here.

“I made some tea. It’s decaf.” My mother smiled. She handed me a mug and sat next to me on the couch with another mug in her hands.

“Thank you.” I said gratefully. I loved having a cup of tea in the evening and it always made me feel relaxed.

We sat quietly together as we sipped our tea but it was a comfortable silence with the burning wood crackling. I turned to look at my mother when she let out a sigh and looked at

“I must say… They are a lot more different than I had expected.” I raised my brows in surprise before a smile appeared on my lips.

“They are. Especially Arianna and Josh.” I chuckled and she rolled her eyes at the mention of Josh.

“That boy needs a good smacking or two with my wooden spoon. Shameless boy.” She scoffed, making me laugh.

“Ah, yes, Josh  truly has no shame. You have no idea how many times has teased me with his stupid comments.” I shook my head a little while smiling as I remembered his dumb jokes.

“One time, he made such an inappropriate comment about me. Nicholas  punched him in the face.” I grimaced a little at the memory. I quickly realized I probably shouldn’t have shared that with her since she wasn’t fond of him. But to my surprise, she was actually smiling about it.

“Even though I hate to say it, it’s obvious he cares about you. They all do… And…” She took a deep breath and smiled while caressing my hair.

“I know I haven’t been supportive of your relationship with him… but I have just heard so much about them and I got scared for you. You are my priority. I want you to be safe and happy.” My mother gave me a soft smile as she spoke, and tears formed in my eyes.

“I can see you’re happy, and if it means you’re happy with him then there really isn’t much I can do about it. I don’t want to stand in your way of happiness.” A lump in my throat formed, feeling relieved that she had accepted our relationship and had seen a different side of him. I knew there was still some progress between them that had to be done but this was such a relief.

“And now, you’re going to have a baby… My God, when did you get so grown?” We chuckled a little, both with tears in our eyes as she pulled me into a hug.

“I know, I still can’t believe it.” I sniffed and wiped my eyes, smiling.

“Also, there is something I need to talk to you about.” I felt the nerves build up as I had no idea how to break it down to her, or how she would react but it was better to just tell it as it was without beating around the bush.

“He wants me to live with him when I go back for Tessa’s wedding.” I said quietly, watching her reaction. She let out a sigh and held my hand.

“I figured that much out…And so soon?” My mother looked at the fireplace.

“It only makes sense that you should live with him. But I need to talk to him before I let you go.”

“Talk to him about what?” She looked at me again, giving me a small smile.

“You don’t need to worry about it.”

“I hate that answer. He always gives me that answer.” I sighed but she just let out a small chuckle.