18

Elsa

“He might need some time before coming out.” I informed Antonio before he could open the door for Nicholas. He raised a brow and I just show my inncent smile.
“That’ll teach you not to piss me off.” I said proudly and stepped around the car. I made a small whistle as I looked at the building. It looked like the freaking White House. I inwardly groaned when I saw the huge staircase, knowing it would be hell for my foot.
I just hoped we wouldn’t have to stand up too much.

The car door opened and I turned to look. Nicholas came out with a glare and I gave him my best innocent look. He stopped in front of me, staring me down. I had to tilt my head up a little to meet his gaze. Even though I was wearing heels, the height difference was still great.
“You’re going to pay for that.” His voice was slightly husky as he spoke.
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I smiled sweetly.
“You know exactly what you did.” He sounded so displeased,it amused me.
“If you behave, I might give you what you want.” I retorted, using his own words against him. I looked down at his crotch, his bulge was still slightly visible.
I looked back at him with a smirk and a wink before turning around.

We stepped into a huge banquet hall which was set up to be as extravagant as possible. A swarm of people was present, dressed up in fine clothing of evening dresses and suits. There were a lot more people than I had imagined, and I ended up playing a little game in my head, guessing which ones were in a criminal organization or if they were just normal business people.

Antonio and Logan disappeared somewhere, leaving us alone. Well, not exactly as I now knew they would always have their eyes on us and were just keeping in the background.
One thing that also surprised me was just how well-known Nicholas was. People were already stopping us the second we made an appearance, eager to talk to Nicholas. I got introduced to way too many people and in the end, I stopped trying to remember their names.
Most of the people who came up to talk to Nicholas were mostly trying to suck up to him, talking about their businesses and not so discreetly suggesting a partnership. I just stood next to him with his arm around my waist, and I just smiled politely as I minded my own business while they talked. Nothing they said really interested me.

“Is it always like this? Them trying to kiss your as.” I asked after we had excused ourselves from two men who wouldn’t stop talking.
“Something like that.”
“How boring.”
“You’ve barely been here for an hour, and you’re already bored?” He looked at me amused.
“I was hoping it would be more like a just sit and look pretty kind of thing. But no, I have to be on my feet and listen to people who don’ t even know how to pitch their businesses interestingly.” I sighed. I had to keep most of my weight supported on my left leg after the freaking stairs. I just hoped it wasn’t broken because a cast would be awful when Tessa’s wedding was soon.
“Let’s get you off your feet then.” I nodded, gratefully to finally have a small break.

“Mr. Donavan.” A man called with a woman linked to his arm made their way to us. My shoulders slumped in disappointment and Nicholas looked at me.
“We don’t have to talk to him.”
“It’s fine. I can manage.” I smiled when they approached.
“Mr. Roberts.” Nicholas greeted and they shook hands.
“And who’s the beautiful lady?” Mr. Roberts looked me up and down before meeting my eyes and stuck his hand out to greet me.
“Elisabeth. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” I placed my hand in his and he kissed the backside of my hand. I could feel Nicholas’s hand tightening a little around my waist, and I me*tally rolled my eyes at him. But I still leaned closer to him to ease him.
“Pleasures all mine. This is my wife, Elena.” She smiled at me and I smiled back at her with a small nod. She was wearing a long silver dress, making her red hair appear bright. She was definitely a big fan of jewelry as she was practically covered in them.
Mr. Roberts wasted no time and went straight to business talk.
And he aimed his question right at me.