81

Elsa

I felt my heart stop beating.

I couldn’t believe it.

I was afraid to even close my eyes to blink in case this was some kind of an illusion. A beautiful one that I would never get to see if I did.

Did I die and we got reunited?

With my shaky hand, I reached out and touched his face. He leaned into my touch and a sob escaped my lips, and tears welled in my eyes.

“Nicholas…” I sobbed in a whisper.

“I’m right here, baby.” He kissed the palm of my hand and pulled me into him. I couldn’t hold it in anymore and cried into his chest, wrapping my arms tightly around him. It was real. He was right here in front of me, holding me tightly in his strong arms as he buried his face into my neck.

My husband is alive.

Nicholas wiped my tears away when I had calmed down, placing his hands on my cheeks, and leaning down until he captured my lips. The moment our lips touched washed away all the stress and anxiety that had built up in record time while being locked up. It gave me a sense of serenity and relief washed over me, and out of all the kisses we had shared, this was the sweetest kiss.

I couldn’t breathe.

But only because it was the purest joy and love I had ever felt. We kissed like we were each other’s lifelines, and my heart was racing with intense emotions.

Nicholas pulled slightly back to let me catch my breath and rested his head against mine. It was probably not the right place and time to be taking a moment of just being in each other’s arms, but I couldn’t care less about it as I clung to him in desperation.

“I told you, I will always find you, my love.” He whispered.

“I know.” I croaked out with a smile. He always kept his word. No matter what.

“I really thought you had left me.” I sniffed as I looked at him with a fresh wave of tears.

“Never. Not even death can do us part.” Nicholas wiped my tears away with his thumb as he caressed my cheek.

“How bad is it?” I asked and looked down to where he got shot. I lifted his shirt to see but he was wearing a bulletproof vest underneath.

“It will take more than a bullet to bring your man down.” He smiled softly.

“Are you okay? Does it hurt anywhere?” Nicholas started to feel me around to find any injuries.

“I don’t think so. I can’t really feel anything.” I told him.

“It’s the adrenaline.” His brows pinched together when he looked around my face. I was sure it was bruised after being  elbowed fucking hard in the face.

“Are you bleeding anywhere?” His eyes were filled with concern for me and I shook my head.

“I’m not.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m okay.” I cupped his face and I could feel his entire body relax.

“But I’m worried about you.” I almost whispered as I took a good look at him. He was looking pale and had small beads of sweat on his forehead. He was in a bad condition yet he was still on his feet, in front of me.

“Don’t be. It’s nothing I can’t handle.” He assured me and went to grab the vest for me.

Nicholas strapped the bulletproof vest and made sure it was tight and in place. I looked over at Tessa, seeing her wrapped in Dante ’s arms while he talked to her quietly to calm her down. She didn’t deserve to go through all of this. Especially on a day that was supposed to be her happiest day. I felt like I had failed her for a second time. It wasn’t fair for her. It wasn’t fair to any of them.