Trying to Grow

Ness and Lucas were in their room, waiting for any kind of order. The two of them worked for a facility called Smash Bros. It was a bit of a weird name, but their job was very important. They needed to investigate various oddities in the world. Today had been a slow day for them. Lucas was getting antsy at the lack of...well, anything. He groaned before falling onto their bed. Ness, who sat at the foot of the bed, turned toward him. "Relax, it's a good thing it's a bit slow, is it not." Lucas rolled over onto his back.

"NO!" he yelled. "I'm so bored!!" Ness crossed his arms.

"It's called being patient."

"I don't do patience."

"I know, just thought I'd give you the idea, at least." Thankfully for Lucas, however, he wouldn't have to wait for very long. There was a knock at the door. Both boys stood up quickly. They exchanged a glance before Ness walked over. Pressing his hand against a pad next to the door caused it to open up. The door was very futuristic. It opened by splitting apart the top half and the bottom half. Ness saw their boss, Mario. He crossed his arms.

"Cadets, we apologize for the wait," he said.

"No worries, Sir." Mario nodded.

"Follow me." Mario turned around and began walking away. Ness motioned for Lucas to follow. The two of them were wearing pretty casual-looking clothes. Especially when compared to how futuristic the facility was. They walked through a long shiny hallway of rooms. The hallway led to an elevator. They stepped in and took it up quietly. Once the elevator opened up they saw another small hallway leading into the main bulk of the ship.

They exited it and began through the hallway. "So, what's this mission, may I ask?" Lucas asked.

"Well, we've been getting strange readings from what is supposed to be an abandoned planet," Mario said. The three of them left the hallway and entered the main section. It was a large room with loads of computer stations with Miis working at them. The roof and walls of this room were all made of glass which allowed them to see their surroundings. It wasn't much to look at, however. They were just underwater. So it was just darkness as far as the eye could see.

Mario walked over to a specific computer station and patted the Mii on the back. "Explain it to them, if you can." The Mii nodded. He typed away a little more and brought up the planet. It looked desolate and dull.

"It's right here. We're getting strange readings from it," The Mii said.

"Could it really be him?" Lucas asked.

"We doubt it, but we still need to check just to be sure," Mario assured. He nodded back at the Mii.

"This planet should be abandoned. Nothing but abandoned forests and deserts and factories."

"Factories? Why would an abandoned planet have factories?" Ness asked.

"Because it wasn't always abandoned," a woman's voice said. The two boys turned around to see Samas Aran. She was a high-ranking officer in the facility. She smiled at the boys and ruffled their hair a little. She then walked between them to stand next to the Mii. "This planet was one of many that was under the control of the Space Pirates."

"Space Pirates?"

"If I may?" She asked as she looked at Mairo. Mario nodded before turning toward the boys.

"She'll continue the explanation. She knows more about this than I do," he said before walking off. Samus cleared her throat.

"The Space Pirates were a group that I had to deal with on my adventures. Their leader was a dragon named Ridley." Samus looked down at the Mii. He typed away quickly and brought up an image of RIdley. "No matter how many times I put an end to him, he always found a way to come back."