Pinky Promise

Ness

There he is, sitting on the cliff. He was looking out over to the sunset. The orange turning to purple sky, attracted him it seemed. The city of Smashville under all of it. He's been sitting here for hours. He even missed the funeral. I can't help but feel awful for it. I feel it's my fault for her death. I didn't protect her as well as I was supposed to. I...I failed. I looked down at the rocky ground. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and when I looked I saw Ninten. He's normally known for his lack of seriousness, but he knows how to be serious when needed. He motioned his eyes toward Lucas, his tears most likely falling off the cliff. I looked back at Ninten, and he nodded. He gave my back one good pat and walked into the forest that stood behind us. I slowly walked up to Lucas and saw next to him. Our feet dangling off the cliff.

I stared at the sunset. Today has been very somber, the sunset is the brightest thing to happen in town today. I tried to see if I could see anyone in the town, but no. Everyone was mourning, and it's all my fault. "I miss her," Lucas cried. I looked at him and saw he was already looking at me. He allowed a tear to fall from his eye. He then embraced me in a tough hug. I hesitated a bit, but then wrapped my arms around him. "I...I miss her." I could hear the despair in his voice. He sounded lost. She was everything to him, and now she's gone. He pushed out of the hug and collided his forehead into mine. Our eyes were as close as they could possibly be. His ocean eyes are wetter than eyes should be. I push his head slightly away and place my hand on his red cheek. I wipe away some tears with my thumb. He planted his hand on mine and forced himself to smile. I shook my head and the smile disappeared. "I miss her." I gave him a small hum then stood up. His hand was still on mine so he stood up with me.

We then walked through the forest, no words spoken. No words were needed to be spoken. We walked and listened to the crunches of leaves and sticks. Our hands were in each other, the fingers interlocked, but neither of us felt awkward, or at least not me. I looked over at him, I could tell he was trying to hide his tears. I stopped moving and looked down. I saw a broken stick. This stick was oddly familiar. I let go of Lucas' hand and kneeled down to grab the stick, that is now broken in two. I looked at Lucas. "I can't do it anymore, I have to forfeit." This stick is the special stick Lucas uses to fight with. He broke his weapon, even though he barely used the weapon, he still broke it.

"I...I'm sorry," I finally had the right frame of mind to say. I dropped the stick, but Lucas grabbed my chin and made me look up into his eyes. He tilted his head, forcing yet another smile. I shook my head, and once again he destroyed the smile.

"Y-you have nothing to be sorry about Ness...This is all my fault." The way he said it, full of somber and regret, made me want to curl up and cry.

"Where is he?" I asked as I looked at the ground.

"I...gave him back to Duster. I don't want to lose him too." I looked up and saw he was on the brink of tears. I looked around the forest. There had to be something in the forest that'll cheer him up, just a little bit at least. That's when I remembered something, it's a rumor but I don't have much to go off of now. I grabbed his hand and started to walk through the forest. This time, without the intent to leave the forest, but rather, to find the field. The Sunflower Field. There is a rumor that after a loss this field will open itself up for those mourning. It's said to be in this forest, but a rumor is just that, a rumor.

After a long while, we see loads of yellow. I could see Lucas' eyes brighten up slightly. I smirked slightly and walked toward the yellow. The closer we got, the more we became aware that it was the Sunflower field. Lucas ran toward the field, with a seemingly genuine smile on his face. I slowly followed him with a smirk. He gently ripped a sunflower from the ground and turned toward me. "You brought me here...why?" I walked up to him and held the hands that held the stem of the flower. We held the flower between us.