58

NARRATED

NQUBEKO's HOUSE

He was preparing to leave for the hospital, to fetch his woman since she was being discharged today. A call comes through just as he was leaving

Nqubeko: "Ndamase." he greets

Ndamase: "Ya, are you okay mfana wami?"

Nqubeko: "Yebo. I'm okay baba, singezwa kuwe."

Ndamase: "Hhayi I'm still alive and strong. When are you coming home?" Nqubeko exhales heavily thinking about how he has to tell his family the truth so he can get the cleansing ritual done with.

Nqubeko: "Oh yazi baba, I was actually about to tell..." the call just started cutting off until he had to hang up. He tries to call back his father again but his network keeps cutting the call off.

______

When he got to the hospital, he was directed to the waiting room where he found Milile's father and sister.

Nqubeko: "Sanibonani baba, Pule."

Ndaba: "Yebo ndodana."

Nqubeko: "What happened?! I thought she was being discharged today."

Ndaba: "I don't know too. I'm confused but the doctor said he will get back to us." He sighs heavily and sits down on the bench.

After a few minutes, the doctor comes to them

Nqubeko: "How is she?!

Doc: "So we were doing a final check up on her just to be sure that her womb was cleaned well and everything was okay. She then started complaining about pain in her womb and said she felt something moving in her. We did a check up again and it's not looking good. Her womb had something when we did a scan then we switched to a transvaginal scan and there's nothing. I just want to say before i'm a doctor, I am a Zulu man so I think this is all spiritual stuff..."

Ndaba: "That is really weird. I will take a step, ngiyabonga ndoda yakithi." they shake hands.

Nqubeko: "Is she going to be okay though?"

Doc: "Yes. Just get her traditional help, I will bring her discharge papers now."

Ndaba: "You can go see her son." he says patting his shoulder. Nqubeko walks to her ward, he finds her sleeping on her side facing the other way while she cries softly. His heart breaks at the sight.

Nqubeko: "Sthandwa sami." she turns slowly still crying, her face covered in tears and mucus.

Milile: "I can't Nqubeko. I really can't." she cries as he brings her into his arms, softly brushing her back.

Nqubeko: "I know baby. It hurts but we'll pull through." he kisses her face still brushing her back.

Milile: "I thought maybe God heard my cries and was performing a miracle. I thought when they were seeing something, it was our baby. I still hoped and prayed that they could say they made a mistake. It hurts." they both cry in each other's arms.

Nqubeko: "I know what you talking about baby. I still hope this is all a dream yazi. For years I have been told that i'm infertile and my sperm count is low. The one time I score, it had to be grabbed just like that from me. I was so excited, sometimes I think it's maybe my fault because I got too excited and started telling everyone. I regret all that." he cries.

Milile: "It both wasn't our faults baby. Don't beat yourself up for it. We still have time and we will make more kids." they wipe each other's faces then kiss.

Milile: "I love you."

Nqubeko: "I love you too."

Milile: "I don't know how to tell dad that I won't even cope being around mah and my small brother."

Nqubeko: "Don't worry baby. I'm sure they will understand and you will come over this. Just continue with your sessions with your therapist."

Milile: "Okay." he kisses her.

Milile: "Will you join me in those sessions?" he smiles softly brushing her face and shakes his head no.

Nqubeko: "No babe, i'm okay." They kiss and break their kiss shortly.