81

Milile pov

Nqubeko hasn't been home for a week and today is my appointment for the foetus deletus (abortion). I had to drop off Nasi at home, she will stay with mom. Right after coming out of the shower, he walks in. He stands by the door for a few minutes just staring at me.

Nqubeko: "Hi." I ignore him and continue lotioning my body. He sighs heavily before he walks off to the bathroom. I decide to get dressed in my tracksuit just so I can be comfortable. I request an uber and proceed to the kitchen. I make myself some tea and sit by the counter bar chairs. He walks in again with a towel around his waist.

Nqubeko: "Can you please help me with choosing an outfit?" I pretend, I don't hear him. He sighs

Nqubeko: "Baby." My phone beeps indicating that my uber is here. I take my phone and purse. I take the half full cup of tea and throw it in the sink from where i'm standing making it land aggressively and it breaks.

***********
"Ms Milile Ndaba?" a nurse asks confirmation after i have told her what i'm here for.

Me: "Yes."

Nurse: "Come this side." I follow her to the doctor's consultation room.

Nurse: "There's your next patient doc." she leaves me in the office and walks out again.

Doc: "Good morning."

Me: "Hi doc." I am already feeling down.

Doc: "Okay we will start with doing an ultrasound before we proceed." I nod.

Doc: "Please come lay on the bed." she asks as she connects all the machines. The door abruptly opens and Nqubeko walks in.

Nqubeko: "I'm sorry to disturb, I'm her husband." the doctor turns to me, I guess for confirmation so I nod.

Doc: "Right." she places the transducer on my abdomen area and start moving it around my pelvis after she applied the gel.

Doc: "uhmm..." she looks at the screen again, she even turns it off then on again.

Nqubeko: "What's wrong?!" he asks alarmed. I roll my eyes, he didn't care the whole week he wasn't home and now he'll act like he cares? mcm.

Doc: "Give me a minute please." we let her do her thing. She sighs and wipes of the gel on my stomach then unplugs the machines.

Doc: "We will use the transvaginal ultrasound method, is it fine?"

Nqubeko: "Why?"

Me: "It's okay Doc." she nods and does her thing. Again her face becomes blank when she stares at the screen. She sighs.

Doc: "There is no baby."

Me: "Excuse me?!"

Doc: "You don't appear to be pregnant. There is no baby. I had thought maybe it was hiding in your ribs cause that's also normal but nothing. The transvaginal ultrasound would have shown something."

Me: "So you mean i'm not pregnant?"

Doc: "Yes. It happens sometimes that you feel like your body is changing and you may even experience pregnancy symptoms when in reality you're not pregnant..."

Nqubeko: "pseudocyesis."

Doc: "Yes! So I assume you just experienced pseudocyesis ma'am." I'm so shocked, hurt and disappointed but also a bit happy because then I don't have to worry about the abortion anymore.

Me: "I'm shocked."

*********
I left Nqubeko in that office and took the first cab parked outside the hospital, to the mall. I do a bit of shopping and this time i'm using my own card. After my little shopping, I proceed to the closest restaurant and order some food. I'm famished.

His cologne is the first thing that greets me and confirms that he is here. I don't even want to find out how he knew where I was.

Nqubeko: "Celebrating your victory?"

Me: "Nqubeko, if you here to mess up my mood any further or harass me, I will slit your throat I promise."

Nqubeko: "Bad joke I guess. I'm sorry."

Me: "Can you kindly leave me alone!?" I snap abit loud drawing a few people's attention to us. I click my tongue and take my bags and storm off with tears blinding my sight.

Nqubeko: "Baby wait!" he runs after me but I ignore him and continue walking. He stands infront of me and blocks my way

Me: "Leave me the f*ck alone Nqubeko!" i whisper sternly. He just grabs my shopping bags and before I can even react, he scoops me up with his one hand and throws me over his shoulder, carrying me to the car while i pinch and bite his back.