2- The Parapet

We enter the crowded court yard, which seems like there's thousands of cadets there waiting to divide into their sections. I scan the area, taking notice how the rain is increasing.  " You got any tips for crossing in a downpour like this?"

Mira Looks up at the sky sighing heavily, " Be damn careful, it'll be slick."

" No shit."

She sends me a look, " My year it was cloudy, didn't rain like this."

How assuring.

Up ahead people were now breaking off into their Quadrants making my stomach do a small flip. " One more thing.." Mira says quickly. " Find Dain."

Dain? Dain!

I missed him, I missed his smile, his laugh, his eyes just..him.. We were near inseparable before he left, I remember how I cried last year seeing my only friend was leaving me. I remember the night before we stayed together, I always liked him, we kissed, and I gave myself to him.

Which probably didn't help the situation seeing he was leaving the next day... No one knows about it besides us.

Mira breaks me out of my trance, " He'll keep you safe." She eyes me, " Knock that off too.."

" What?"

" That smile..knock it off... I always knew you thought he was hot but he's a second year.. You have the target on your back, you don't need to give them another reason to come after you.."

" Why would me-"

" Because if you sleep with Dain cadets will think your sleeping your way to the top, thats another way to get killed, sleep with first years.. not second or thirds." Mira instructs.

I huff, it's to late for that... but makes sense " OK."

" Good."

We continue through the mass of people going further to the rider Quadrant. I happen to look up to the Terrent then the Parapet, the 18 inch stone bridge we need to cross, the bridge that divides cadets from potenial riders.

I clench my jaw ever so slightly as I look at it, I can see it glisten, looking extra dangerous with the rain. " Never look down." Mira says, " Look at the stones ahead. And take your time. Keep your arms out, and if your pack falls let it fall..."

I stare straight ahead, a couple ahead I see a sparkly design on one of the boys... a rebellion relic. I find it fascinating a dragon could do that to the kids, kids of traitors. Normally dragons mark the ones they're bonded to but these marks seems to showcase they'll always be known at traitors.

Mira all of the sudden grips my arm, " I forgot.." Her voice drops to a whisper. " Stay the hell away from a boy named Xaden Riorson."

That name needs to introduction.

His father was the Great Betrayer, he lead the Revolution. He caused these kids of the traitors to wear rebellion relics, because of what he did all the traitors kids were assigned to the Rider Quadrant.

They didn't think so many would've survived, Xaden being one but it was bascially set in stone once his dragon chose him, he climbed the ranks and is now a wingleader.

" Dain should put you in his squad." Mira says.

" NEXT!" someone says.

We were next, 2 scribes were sitting. " Your... Mira Sorrengail." One of them said, I can feel tjeir admiration from here, I surpress an eye roll as Mira nods, " That's me."