42- The Front Lines

By the time we arrived at the outpost in Monsorat... My body was stiffer then a board.

I took my time getting off of Rhys, groaning quietly as my body cracks to get more flexibility. "I'm not that bony halfblood." he grumbles stretching his massive opaque wings himself.

" Your bonier then most." I mutter back glancing at him briefly " Do you not ever eat."

" I eat about 3 cows or 12 sheep a day.. if you must know."

" Make that 5 cows and 20 sheep, I'll even give you some scraps if I need to."

He lets out a low growl making a couple of heads turn, though i know he's all bluff... for me at least. I give him a smile patting him on the shoulder walking to where the Outpost commander is waiting for us.

" This place seems really bland." Hetta whispers beside me looking around.

I nod taking in the sight myself, waking up to this everyday would make me feel drained. " Welcome Cadets! I'm Outpost Commander Pike. Glad you all are here."

He looks older, whethered, tired almost as most do once they serve long enough. His hair is gray and slicked back with lighter gray colored riding gear, almost matching the bland sky. " I won't keep you for much longer.. I'm sure your all not used to flying such distances."

He's got that right..

" Please, wash up, get a meal and rest. We'll have our first tours in 2 hours." Pike says quickly giving Lark a nod, which he leads us to the small barrack rooms where we needed bunk mates. Naturally, Hetta latched to my arm meaning we're a pair.

I'm almost surprised Liam didn't volenteer, or Xaden to keep me 'safe' though I have a feeling his shadows will be bunking with us also. 

Speaking of him,  actually both of them..... They haven't said a word to me this whole time.

I look at them quickly, they were close but not normally as close as they normally are when they try to act nonchalant when I kow they're keeping an eye on me. I see Xaden's eyes snap to mine and I look away back at Hetta. " Let's go."

She nods gingerly as Lark shows us what room we'd be in and wrote our names down on a paper before excusing us and moving on. I throw my pack on the ground sitting on the cool floor. " You can wash off first if you'd like."

She smiles nodding, " Alright."

She takes some lighter clothes to change into walking to the bathroom as I lean in the bedframe soaking up the coolness. It's so much warmer here then at Basgiath...I think I'd rather of the cold then the warm here.

My mond wanders back to my boys- I mean the boys... I mean it's not like I care.. but there's just something different and I don't like it.. I can't seem to figure it out. I sigh looking around the room for any places shadows could be.. ofcourse there were plenty.