13- The Gauntlet

We all walk in a single filed line to the Gauntlet, we start training today, I read Brennan's notes several times, even relaying the information to Hetta. When everyone is gone or asleep that's when we go through it.

I look around at the whole course. " This thing is worse then I imagined." I mumbled to her. She nods looking up as well.

To my surprise a few in out wing looked purely and utterly excited, one being a strawberry blonde girl named Cresta. " This is what I've been waiting for since I got here!" She exclaims to one of the other girls in our squad named Tara.

If only I could have that excitement. It ascends in abrupt angles getting deadlier the higher it goes, how can you even get through that? But I swallow, I'll be fine.. I'll get through it.

" You look paler then usual Sorrengail, nervous?" Tynan, one of my squad mates says sneering at me. I roll my eyes, Jack Barlowe decided to put him in his little group after I kicked his ass last week during combat. Dain timed it.. 3 minutes was all it took to kick his leg out and pull a dagger on him. He yielded faster than I could ask. Ever since then he's been bitter and this way Jack can have a closer eye on me in a way.

" Get over it Tynan..." Ridoc mutters, " You act like your the first ass she's kicked."

I've noticed since I've been undefeated since Xaden..my squad has been a little nicer to me, so when they do get paired up I'm not as brutal..which I've tried not to be unless they piss me off.

" I think he's just bitter because not only did I kick his ass, he knows I'm going to beat his time as well." I mock. Tynan glares as he takes a step toward me, I was quick to pull a dagger as he presses into it. " Careful... don't want to be dead before you get up there." I muse adding a little grin.

" You guys all knock it off.." Sawyer, the repeat from the year before says. " Trust me, times don't matter. Ones that got the slower times last year bonded just fine, as long as you live that's all that matters."

" Still mad about that repeat?" Tynan asks.

" It'll be real funny Tynan when your the one repeating." I snap at him, " Leave him alone."

I'm sure he didn't need my help but it was a dick move on his part, I see Jack has rubbed off on him already.

Lark studies all of us, " Your squad has an hour to get to the top, we encourage you to train as much as possible for the next two weeks. Sawyer will go first to show you how it's done, then you will go one by one. Once the person infront of you reaches the obstacle there.."

He points at these log like beams jutting from the stone, " ..The next one can go. Are we clear?"

We all nod, he gives a nod. " Good." He goes off to who knows where, once he's out of hearing distance Tynan decides to speak up again. " I'm sure Aetos will want his girlfriend to be the second one.. all of us stand back for the princess here.."

There's that anger edging up again... I spin around, " Ok, what is your deal?! I beat you in a damn spar tough shit! Grow a pair and deal with it.."

He scoffs, " My DEAL is you seem to get in and out of little situations all the time, don't act like we haven't noticed Sorrengail... We all know that damned name is the reason but you sleeping with SQUAD LEADER makes it even more unbearable!"

I look at him dumbly.. " I'm not sleeping with him asshole! I've known him my entire life, if you did some research his dad is my mom's right hand dumbass!"