Life on the line

☼☽⋆。°✧ ✧⋆°。☾☼

1996

"What did you say boy?" The dark lord sneered as he looked at the Malfoy heir.

"I need more time" Draco gulped.

"You've had time. I showed you kindness and allowed you the help of the Nott boy. You will
Complete the task by the end of June otherwise...you won't live to see another year at Hogwarts" The dark lord let his beady eyes pierce into Draco's. The boy visibly trembled under his intense stare and Draco could feel Theo's eyes on him from across the table.

"Y-yes my lord" Draco sputtered, before watching the dark lord disappear into a cloud of black smoke. His body relaxed as he sucked in a breath, he couldn't prolong this any longer. He just hoped Juliet was getting close to being finished.

"What was that about? I know you've been working on the cabinet...it's nearly ready" Theo looked over Draco with narrowed eyes. It was the most they'd spoken in two weeks.

"I'm buying her time" that was all Draco needed to say.

"By getting yourself killed?" Theo scoffed.

"Got any better ideas Theodore?! You know the task isn't as easy as just fixing the damn cabinet! If Juliet comes back, having succeeded, she won't be too happy to find that I've already killed our headmaster!" Draco slammed his fists down on the table, but Theo didn't flinch at this action.

"It would be a small price to pay to save the rest of the wizarding world, Juliet would understand that" Theo stood up and shook his head.

"Theo wait"

Theo turned back around slowly and let his eyes burn into Draco's.

"I regret what I said to her. I regret not helping her. I'll never forgive myself if something happens to her and the last things I said to her were...well-you know" Draco looked down to his hands before looking back up at Theo.

"I'll never forgive you either Draco but as of right now, she's still alive, so I'm going to help you, with your task" Draco let out a sigh of relief "I'm not doing it for you, I'm doing it for Juliet" Theo's jaw clenched as he spoke her name and Draco nodded slowly.

The two boys apparated back into Hogwarts and Draco couldn't deny the awkwardness that coated the air around them, there was no small talk or throwing jokes around. In all honesty, it felt like Draco was stood alongside a stranger and that's when he realised how deep Theo's love for his sister ran.

Draco watched as Theo flopped down onto the old distressed sofa and in a lapse of good judgement, Draco did the same.

"Shouldn't you be working on the cabinet?" Theo asked flatly.

"He said the end of June. So I'm going to wait until then, buy Juliet as much time as possible" Draco twisted his rings around his fingers.

"You know...potter has been talking about you. Been telling people you're a deatheater just like your father. I threatened him for it just last week" Theo put his arms behind his head.

"Saint potter can say what he likes. Also, I thought you hated me now?" Draco smirked as he turned his head to look at Theo.

"Yeah well...just protecting the boy my sister, for some unknown reason, loves" Theo let out a snicker.

"I could give you a list of reasons why" Draco smirked devishly but Theo reached over and smacked him around the back of the head.

"Enough of that" Theo groaned in disgust.

"What do you think she's doing right now?" Draco sighed heavily.

"Umm, probably, infiltrating Tom Riddle's closest circle and causing havoc" Theo let out a chuckle at the thought of the small brunette girl, having the group of the first death eaters, wrapped around her finger.

"Wouldn't surprise me. You know, she's probably met my grandfather..." Draco smiled softly.

"Yeah, she's probably met our grandfather as well. At least she's still got a Malfoy and a Nott" Theo pulled his wand out and spun it around his fingers.

"I can't wait for her to tell me, how much of an ass my grandfather was" Draco smirked at the thought.

"We will be having some very strange conversations for a while" Theo laughed, a real laugh.

"I never thought I'd say it, but I'm so glad that Dumbledore put that protection spell on her mind. If he hadn't, I would of never had an interest"

"That's true. I wouldn't have ever known she was my sister" Theo nodded his head slowly.

"Fate works in strange ways" Draco had never been a believer of such things. Fate, soulmates, destiny, but after meeting Juliet, he'd never been so sure that it existed. The universe quite literally pulled them together.

"Come on, enough wallowing. I need food" Theo slapped his hands against his thighs before he stood up.

Draco followed behind him loosely but one thing stayed on his mind for the rest of the night. What was Juliet Nott, doing right now?.

☼☽⋆。°✧ ✧⋆°。☾☼