A heart of steel

☼☽⋆。°✧ ✧⋆°。☾☼

1943

September was nearly upon them, Juliet's favourite season was autumn, she loved the hues of orange and yellow and she loved how the trees shedded their leaves in order to bloom again a few months later. She thought it was rather beautiful.

The past two months had been ones of calm and laughter, she'd even managed to get Tom to crack a few smiles, it was safe to say she was getting him to see the brighter side of life. Of course, his blunt demeanour was still in full force but Juliet was no Merlin, that was probably the one thing she would never be able to change.

Her excitement had only been growing, for she would be going home in just over a month, although she couldn't deny that she also felt sad. She'd made friends here, even though they didn't know the real her.

Everytime she bought up that she'd be leaving soon, Tom seemed to end the conversation, either by walking away from her or by acting as if he didn't hear a word she said. Juliet didn't want to assume anything, but the only reasonable explanation was that he didn't want her to leave. It was impossible though, he'd made it very clear that he didn't care nor did he even really like her.

But as they were sat in the common room, surrounded by their friends. She found herself staring at Tom with a glint of hope in her eyes, she hoped that somewhere deep inside, he did care because it would mean that he wasn't the person he was in nineteen ninety six. He seemed to feel her gaze on him because he looked up from his journal with raised eyebrows. Juliet looked away quickly, acting as if she was reading her book the whole time.

I know you're not reading

Juliet furrowed her eyebrows and looked around the group of boys, only to see that none of them had actually said anything.

I did say something, just not out loud.

Juliet's eyes met Tom's. There was a smirk on his face but Juliet found that her mouth fell open. It wasn't possible, there was a protection spell on her mind, no one could get in her head. She stared at Tom and then motioned to his quarters with her head, he seemed to understand because he nodded and Juliet stood up, climbing over the boys legs as she walked towards the staircase. In a matter of seconds, Tom joined her before he unlocked his door, allowing her to enter first.

"What?" Tom asked with a frown.

"How did you get in my head? You shouldn't be able to do that" Juliet shook her head.

"What do you mean? I can do it to all the boys" Tom stared at her questionably.

"No you don't understand...I have a spell on my mind. A protection spell, or at least I did. Dumbledore did it when I was a baby" Juliet ran her hands through her hair.

"Can I see your thoughts?" Tom took a step forward but Juliet's face stayed blank.

"Sorry?"

"Can I test it? I'll have to invade your thoughts" Tom swallowed thickly.

"Okay" Juliet nodded slowly.

"It's going to hurt" Tom pulled his wand out and pointed it at Juliet. "Legilimens".

"Theo!" Juliet squealed as she ran through the room of requirement, weaving through the furniture.