Tsukishima Kei || Pathetic

Soulmate AU in which the first words your soulmate will say to you are tattooed on your body.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(f/n) had been standing there for almost three minutes, trying to decide which candy she wanted off the shelf.

It wasn't as if she really had to think; she was going to pick (favorite candy) no matter what, but she wanted to give the other candies a chance; make it seem like it was a hard decision.

After only a few more seconds of consideration she reached for the package of candy with her left hand, catching sight of the black ink on her forearm; pathetic.

'Pathetic' was going to be the first word her soulmate said to her, what the hell kind of love story was that?

She had always been jealous of her best friend, who was born with the words 'You're absolutely stunning.' sketched in a beautiful font on her arm. How was that fair at all? Of course (f/n)'s tattoo was written in the same cursive text that everyone else's was, but her's spelled out such a harsh word that the pristine font seemed kind of contradictary.

She had learned how to keep the embarrassing mark hidden, since the word seemed to be an invitation for a lot of teasing since she was a child. Especially by all of the other girls that were blessed like her friend, with beautiful quotes written on their bodies.

Pathetic.

She'd been called the name many times but her response was never to her soulmate; it was never a match with a tattoo. She had learned not to worry about it much, for two reasons. 

One because she was only sixteen, and she wasn't worried at all about being in a relationship at such a young age. And two because if her soulmate really had the heart to call a stranger pathetic, she wasn't sure she wanted to be with them anyways.

Now, whenever she was called pathetic she replied with some quick witted comeback, usually more insulting than the word pathetic. The word didn't even phase her anymore.

With a sigh she forced the thoughts out of her brain and began walking to the front of the store to pay for the candy. While walking she looked down and began digging through her pockets for the coins to buy the candy.

When she was almost to the line to pay she collided with someone, sending her to the floor, her money scattering around her and the package of candy dropping out of her hand. Instead of picking up the things like she should have she looked up to the eyes of a very annoyed blonde boy, who was glaring down at her.

"Pathetic," he mumbled, turning back to stand in line. (f/n) scoffed and began picking up her things.

"Yeah, like I haven't heard that before, prick," she said harshly, hoping the boy heard her. He seemed to because he turned around with a surprised look on his face, one which (f/n) didn't see because she was busy picking up her change.

"W-what?"

"I said yeah like I haven't heard that before, and then I called you a prick. Join the club of everyone who likes to pick on me and get my hopes up," she reaplied angrily, looking up to meet his gaze.

"Getting your hopes up? Does that mean-" he stopped his question and pulled up his left sleeve before reaching out and looking at her left arm. He placed their arms beside each other and the first sentences the two had spat at each other there on their arms.

"W-what?" She was startled for a moment before going back to being angry. "How rude of you, calling your soulmate pathetic! You know how much shit I've had to endure because you don't have manners?"

He rolled his eyes at her. "That's how I speak to everyone," he explained to her while pulling his sleeve down. He didn't even reach down to help her up, so once she stood she turned her back to him in a childish manner.

She was stubborn and convinced that he would apologize by the time they left, since she was in fact his soulmate. If he didn't he'd have to live his angry life without her.

He didn't say anything until he was the next one in line, and even then he spoke very quietly.

"I won't speak to you like that anymore," he said to her, his voice softer.

A smile immediately grew on her face, and she reached her hand out for him to shake. "I'm (f/n). (l/n) (f/n)," she said to him in a cheery voice.

"Put your hand down," Tsukishima said in an flustered voice, "soulmates don't shake each other's hands."

The girl chuckled at this and instead reached her empty hand over to his, holding his large hand in her small one. He was extremely flustered at the feel of her hand in his, and he turned his head away to hide his blush

"Kei. My name is Tsukishima Kei."