Kozume Kenma || Opposites

He never wanted anyone like her.

Kenma had never wanted anyone at all, really, but definitely not somebody like her.

He pictured himself growing old with someone as calm as him, somebody easy to handle and deal with and be with, but what he got was the exact opposite of that. What he got was (f/n).

She was confident and communicative and just there, and it intimidated the hell out of Kenma. He was confused at the fact that she was so much personality and liveliness squeezed into one small body.

He met her on his first day of high school; she was standing in the middle of a group of people she'd only known for a few minutes and was talking with them like they were her best friends. Whenever anybody new walked into the small classroom alone she greeted them, and that included Kenma.

She walked right up to him, held out her hand and introduced herself to him. He was surprised to say the least; he definitely wasn't the kind of kid that people at a school in the middle of Tokyo wanted to be friends with. His hair was too long and sometimes greasy and if he was forced to engage in too many social events he started to feel ill.

He didn't want to come off as rude, however, so he lowered his phone and said hello back to her. The rest of the conversation was short; names, favorite classes, after school clubs. He later came to the conclusion that the reason he liked her so much was because she asked him what game he was playing and then expressed her favorite aspects of said game. She only excused herself from the conversation when the teacher came into the room, and they met again later at the gym for volleyball, where she happily carried on their conversation from the morning.

That's how it all began. Since (f/n) was in the same class as Kenma and was the manager of the volleyball club she and Kenma saw a lot of each other. They spent every day together, and on weekends Kenma found himself inviting her over more often along with Kuroo because (f/n) was unbelievably grand at video games. (f/n) even made him an apple pie for his birthday instead of a cake because she knew that it would make him happier that way, and he only told Kuroo that it made him happier than anything else he'd received that day.

She was talkative and comforting in a way that Kenma had never experienced; she wasn't a try hard and she didn't force herself onto him, but she let him know she was there for anything he needed, and if he wanted to be alone she let him be.

It wasn't long before Kenma found himself being more interested in (f/n) in a way he wasn't sure he'd experienced before. He knew he was starting to like her as more than a friend, and he found himself liking her for all the reasons he didn't like other girls.

He started looking forward to hearing her talk everyday about everything that didn't matter, he began craving her loud laughs and bright smiles, he wanted her to be excited because when she was too excited she would pull him into unnecessary hugs, hugs he pretended to dislike but actually loved. He wanted it all and didn't at the same time because a girlfriend like (f/n) was sure to be too much for him to handle. But he soon found himself accepting the yearn to have his heart beat pick up when he saw her do anything that made her happy.

He accepted his feelings only a month and a half after having them, and man did Kuroo have a blast teasing him about it.

"I knew you had a crush on (f/n), Kenma." The older boy said smugly. "I wasn't sure why, but I knew you did."

"I didn't want to," Kenma stated, only looking up to meet Kuroo's eyes for a moment before he looked down to his game again. He had a feeling telling Kuroo about his fondness for (f/n) was probably a bad idea, but he needed advice on how to get over it or get with it. "What do I do?" he asked quietly, and if they had been anywhere else but on the bus home he would have teased Kenma and made him repeat himself.

"Just tell her you like her," Kuroo suggested, and it was then Kenma realized he may have went to the wrong person for this. 

"When though? And how?"

"Just let me deal with it Kenma - you just wait."

And that is how Kenma found himself sitting with only (f/n) in his room one Saturday afternoon. Kuroo called and told Kenma this was his chance, told Kenma to tell (f/n) that he was sick, and then hung up. Kenma sat there awkwardly for a moment, phone to his ear even though nobody was there to speak with him. (f/n) looked up from her own phone after she realized Kenma wasn't speaking anymore, and asked him if he was alright.

"Yeah, Kuroo just called and told me he was sick," Kenma said in his usually quiet tone. He was expecting her to want to leave since they'd be alone, but she instead just smiled a smile that made it hard for Kenma to breathe.

"That's okay, now we can play co-op games together and nobody will feel left out," she told him, and he happily sat beside her on his floor.

Despite the fact that they had more room without Kuroo there too, they sat closer together than usual; their elbows would brush when they moved and Kenma found himself smiling when (f/n) would elbow him lightly to distract him. He found his eyes flickering over to her more and more often the harder the game grew because the way she bit her lip while concentrating was a much nicer view than the board of the game he knew they'd have to work a long time to beat.

They failed that board five times (all of which were (f/n)'s fault for distracting Kenma so well) before they decided to changed the game. They changed to a Mario game because Kenma knew that (f/n) like the animation and he liked how happy she was when she'd beat a board. In the end Kenma blamed it on him being a teenager and the ridiculous need inside of him to see (f/n)'s face when she was so unbelievably happy.

He didn't even find himself minding that he liked her anymore. He wanted more touches that weren't necessary but managed to make his face flare up. So, when (f/n) won a board of Super Mario 3D World, he smiled a rare, large smile at her.

"I really like you, (f/n)," he said, and (f/n) paused all movement and just looked at him.

"Really?" she asked quietly, and Kenma nodded.

"Yeah. You're nothing at all like the girl I pictured myself with but I really like everything about you." (f/n) smiled wide and pulled Kenma into a warm hug, which sent his heart racing like usual.

"I like you too Kenma," she whispered to him. 

------------------------------

I have the flu and all I wanted to do was write Kenma so here it is love you all