Tsukishima Kei || Pretend

requested by iHaveALazyButt -- hope you enjoy it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Tsukishima had never been a person who worked to impress others - if people didn't like him, he didn't care. He actually preferred when people didn't like him, so he was usually trying to make people dislike him, or at least working to make them think that he wasn't open to friendship.

But the situation he was preparing for was different - he was meeting (f/n)'s parents.

If this were high school he wouldn't be all that worried. In high school he wasn't worried about impressing anyone's parents - except maybe Yamaguchi's, but that was because they were pretty much his other set of parents - so it wasn't a thing he thought about. But here he was, a second year in some college in Tokyo, and he had someone else he cared about enough to impress their parents.

(f/n) came along and swept Tsukishima off his feet - metaphorically, of course, because Tsukishima was almost eight centimeters taller than he had been in high school and a few pounds heavier from gaining muscle - and he wanted to impress her damn parents.

He had been dating (f/n) for a little over a year now, and when (f/n) asked him if he wanted to go to dinner at her childhood home he was going to say no - he wanted to say no so bad. Meeting parents wasn't his thing, and would probably never be his thing. He didn't like the thought of trying to impress a couple of old people because he liked their daughter.

But he liked (f/n) - like really, really liked (f/n) - and if he had to pretend to be nice to impress her parents than he was going to do it. He was going to have dinner, be nice and civil and not himself, and then he was going to spend the rest of the week being an even bigger asshole because he deserved it.

He spent the entire ride to (f/n)'s childhood home teasing her as usual, hoping to get it all out before he had to think twice before speaking. When they got off of the train to walk the rest of the way to the home (f/n) noticed Tsukishima's tenseness.

"You okay?"

He looked down at her and nodded, hoping that she wouldn't ask too many questions. She didn't and they continued their walk in relative silence, hands clasped and Tsukishima's heart beating a little too fast.

*****

Immediately upon entering the (l/n) household Tsukishima and (f/n) were bombarded by the girl's parents, their smiles wide despite the sharpness in their gazes.

"Kei, these are my parents," (f/n) said, gesturing to the couple. "Mom and Dad, this is my boyfriend Tsukishima Kei."

(f/n)'s mother was immediately complimenting Kei, commenting on his height and looks and clothing choices. He was smiling a rather fake smile, and he took (f/n)'s father's hand and shook it without the smile leaving his mouth.

"It's very nice to finally meet you guys, (f/n) really looks up to you," he said, his voice holding a nicer tone than usual. All of the usually judgement and boredom was gone from the tone, replaced by fake happiness and kindness, which was just barely masking his nervousness.

"It's nice to finally meet you too, our darling (f/n) has told us quite a bit about you, Tsukishima." (f/n)'s dad spoke with authority in his voice, and his eyes were scanning Tsukki, watching him like a hawk.

They were awkwardly silent for a few minutes before (f/n) was pulling Tsukishima towards the kitchen. "Let's have tea and catch up," she suggested, and her mother agreed immediately, walking after her daughter and her boyfriend. (f/n)'s father followed after his family, his eyes boring into Tsukishima's back.