Tsukishima Kei || Home

I am a sucker for Tsukki so I wrote this after sleeping for 14 hours hope you enjooyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When (f/n) pictured her first apartment, she pictured something far different from what she really got. She expected a quaint place in a semi-nice neighborhood with cute furniture and cookware, all with the sweetest man in the world.

She didn't get any of that. This apartment was old and rather rundown, placed in the only neighborhood close enough to her college and job that she could actually afford. The carpet had questionable stains in it, the kitchen and bathroom tiles were marked with yellow colors that (f/n) tried (and failed) to scrub off. The couch that her parents gave her was uncomfortable in every way, and the table placed in front of it was uneven on one of the legs, as were the legs on the dining room table. The oven scorched everything that went in it, so (f/n) figured she'd be eating a lot of take out.

Next to all of that, her boyfriend wasn't the sweetest man in the world. Tsukishima Kei had a rather sour personality, and even though he was just as excited to move into this shitty, rundown apartment, he hadn't said anything positive about it the whole day they were moving. (f/n) saw through him, understanding that Tsukishima's way of appreciating things was a quiet way, and he wasn't putting much effort behind his insults, so she took no offense from his comments.

It was now almost midnight on the day they were moving in, and every room in the apartment was stacked full of the boxes they would work on unpacking the next day. They'd unpacked their bedding, enough clothing to last them the next two days if they grew too lazy to unpack it all tomorrow, and their bathroom supplies so they could take quick showers.

Tsukishima showered first, and then practically forced (f/n) to by telling her how terrible she smelled. (He didn't really mean it, but he much preferred (f/n) when she smelt like her shampoo and not like sweat.) While she showered he tried to decided what they should eat for their extremely late dinner.

(f/n) decided on ramen, and Tsukki started making it while she sat in one of the two chairs at their dinning room table. The dinning room wasn't really a room - it was a small space still in kitchen territory where their small table fit perfectly, and (f/n) could sit there and watch Tsukishima cook with a smile on her face.

She stared at his back for three minutes before he seemed to realize. He turned around to question her, and he couldn't fight the small tug of his lips when he noticed the large smile on her face. "What's gotten into you?" he asked, stirring the ramen in the boiling water while watching her.

(f/n) laughed quietly and allowed a tear to drop from her eye. "I'm just so happy, Kei," she said, wiping at the tear on her cheek.

"That's no reason to cry," he mumbled, turning away because he couldn't fight the smile that was starting to grow on his face.

"I'm crying because I'm happy," she said, and he heard footsteps before arms wrapped around him from behind. He brought his left hand to pat her arms and then pried them off so he wouldn't burn her while separating the ramen.

Tsukishima definitely could understand her on being so happy - he couldn't remember a time when he had felt so light, so free. He kind of wanted to smile and laugh just because he felt so damn at peace in this shitty, rundown apartment, but that wasn't something he'd ever do. So, he settled for pulling (f/n) in for a quick side hug and a landed a kiss to the top of her head before grabbing both bowls and carrying them to the table.

The first meal in the house had also been something (f/n) had - unrealistically - imagined, but she knew right after sitting across from him and looking at him that she wouldn't have had it any other way. Tsukishima looked mad - well, more mad than usual. He always looked unbelievably angry when he was so tired; his forehead wrinkled more and his eyelids were drooped, and he had to keep pushing his glasses back up his nose because they wouldn't stay up while he was eating, and (f/n) loved it.

She couldn't fight the tug in her chest when he looked up at her and allowed his scowl and irritation to turn into a soft look - softer than Tsukishima's normal look. It was the look he saved for her in moments like these, moments where it was just them and Tsukishima was tired of acting so angry, so he let himself be mask-less.

Their meal was mostly silence, besides Tsukishima's few curses at his glasses and (f/n) laughing at him whenever he cursed. When they were finished they simply set their dishes in the sink, (f/n) promising to wash them when they woke up. They then did their nighttime routines - face washing and teeth brushing and bed making, and (f/n) almost started crying again when Tsukishima peeled off his shirt and then collapsed onto their bed - their bed. Tsukishima glanced up at her and sighed at her expression.

"Are you going to cry again?" he asked, a soft plea in his tone of voice because he really didn't want her to cry again.

"That's our bed, Kei," she said, ignoring what he had said. He nodded, confused as to why she had to say something so obvious. "In our room, in our shitty, rundown apartment. And I just got done brushing my teeth in our bathroom."

"May I ask why you're saying very obvious things?" he asked, sitting up in the bed to try and have a better conversation with his girlfriend. It was a hassle - he wanted to sleep more than anything, but he figured this was going to be his life from now on and until he died. The thought of staying up late to listen to (f/n) say stupid things made him uncharacteristically happy, and he allowed the corners of his mouth to turn up into a small smile.

"I've just never been so happy to share things in my life," she said to him with a laugh. She walked across the room to sit in his lap, and he supported her back with his large hands. "I'm so happy to share such boring things with you, Kei; I feel so selfless."

Tsukishima thought about that and realized this was the first time in his life he didn't mind feeling so selfless; if it meant seeing this smile on (f/n)'s face everyday than he was sure he'd give her anything she asked for. He would never say something aloud to her that was so romantic and cheesy, but he felt like he got the point across when he leaned forward and kissed her as light as he ever had, making his heart flutter.

"I'm very happy," he whispered against her lips, and (f/n) rocked forward against him, sending their bodies back against the bed.

"I'm really happy to hear that," she said, into his ear. 

They stayed there like that for a few minutes, enjoying the hug and feeling each other's heart beats and (f/n) thinks that was the moment she realized she'd never be happier anywhere else. Not in a better apartment in a better neighborhood with better furniture. Because she had Kei. Sour, sarcastic Kei, and she never wanted anything else.