Sugawara Koushi || Necklace

soulmate au in which you're born with half a necklace and your soulmate has the other half. Requested by BlosChe almost three months ago I'm so sorry pls forgive me I hope this is okay. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 The small chain and pendant around (f/n)'s neck was one she had grown used to seeing. It'd been there since she was born, since before she could remember, and it was a constant in her life, a reminder that someone out there was made for her, just for her - it helped her through any hard times, and made the days that were good better because she knew that they were out there, just waiting to meet her as she was waiting to meet them.

The pendant was different some days - most days, the good ones, it was almost like a half an oval, breaking off in the middle where her soulmates necklace would finish the shape. And other days, the bad ones, the pendant seemed to change. It didn't actually physically change ever, but (f/n) understood the concept of the pendants and knew that she saw it differently when she was thinking differently. On the bad days it looked like the sharp end of an arrow, waiting for the tail end so it could finally pierce through something.

The pendants color never changed either, though (f/n) couldn't ever really decide what color it actually was. In some light it was ashen gray, almost a white color, and in others it look a baby blue, like the sky on a perfect summer day. She called it different colors on different days, gray when it looked like an arrow and light, baby blue when it looked like the smooth end of a feather.

Nobody else saw it as she did, but that was the so called magic of soulmate necklaces - only the person wearing the necklace and their supposed soulmate will see the same thing out of the necklace, will see what it is supposed to represent.

*****

She wasn't sure exactly how she would find her soulmate - her parents had gone to high school together, met their first years and had happily been together ever since. She was starting her last year of high school and she'd never met anyone with a necklace like her own, not even close. She wasn't worried, though - most people didn't find their soulmates until they were old enough to travel on their own, until they made their way across countries searching, and (f/n) just figured she'd have to wait until then.

Still, she watched with a little envy as her best friends held hands and kissed each other's cheeks, disgustingly happy with each other. "You guys are absolutely disgusting," she mumbled to them, which caused them both to laugh.

"(f/n), are you jealous again?" Matsukawa asked in a joking tone.

Hanamaki moved from sitting beside to Mattsun to siting in his soulmate's lap, and he smiled slyly. "You'll find your soulmate someday, (f/n) - you'll have somebody to be funny looking with in no time."

(f/n) flipped both boys off and flopped down beside them on the bench. "Haha, very funny you assholes."

Mattsun dropped the smile and looked at her seriously. "No, but for real, (f/n), we're traveling a lot more this year, to schools all over Japan. If your soulmate is an athlete, or a manager, we'll be sure to meet them."

(f/n) was about to counter with her usual argument of 'well they're probably not an athlete, they're probably not even in Japan,' but was interrupted by Iwaizumi walking over to them. "Karasuno will be here soon - Yahaba's a little nervous about standing in for Oikawa, so let's be sure and not make any stressful comments, okay?" he focused his eyes on the two boys sitting beside (f/n), which caused the girl to snicker.

The two males on the bench gave fake salutes, chorusing "Aye aye, replacement captain," before Iwaizumi was rolling his eyes and walking away. (f/n), who saw Yahaba failing at sets across the gym, excused herself to go and try to help calm the second year down.