Oikawa Tooru || Tethered

It's been like 20 whole one-shots since this guy has had some time to shine and I'm sorry xD anyways, this was requested by yeanneelorejuan -- I hope you enjoy it ^.^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 If he had known back in middle school that his soulmate was Ushijima Wakatoshi's sister, Oikawa would have cut his string and never looked back. He would have cut the string on his pinky finger, fallen in love with some other, nicer human being, and let himself live a happy life not being the soulmate of an Ushijima. Even if he had ended up alone forever he would have been fine, because then at least he wouldn't have to communicate with Wakatoshi or any of his family.

He didn't know until high school, though, so the string stayed intact. He spent his middle school years talking to Iwa-Chan about his hopes and dreams for his soulmate - mostly just a nice person that didn't beat him up like Iwa-Chan did - excited to meet the person and spend the rest of his life with them.

And when he met her, saw her for the first time, he felt like his parents told him he would - in awe, incredible. He saw her and his heart started racing like he was told it would, and when he looked down at his left pinky to see the string it was the most clear he had ever seen it and it was just magical. He watched as the string lit up and led over to her left pinky, and then he met her eyes and saw how ecstatic she was and he felt his heart try to leap out of his chest because he finally, finally found her.

He excitedly told Iwa-Chan he was going to be back and started walking towards the girl - towards his soulmate. It was surreal, getting to her and introducing himself, shaking her hand and watching the string change from red to the sea foam green color that Oikawa looked fantastic in. He was just about to find out her name when they were interrupted by the last person Oikawa had wanted to see at that moment.

"(f/n), are you ready to go?" The newly-found soulmates turned to look at Wakatoshi, who was standing over them both in a rather intimidating manner.

Oikawa went to speak, to tell Wakatoshi to leave, to let them spend some time together, to question what the hell he even wanted with Oikawa's soulmate, but (f/n) beat him to the cut. "Oh, Wakatoshi," she said, fond smile on her face. " Yeah, I just -" she cut herself off, a little flustered. "This is my soulmate," she said, a laugh leaving her afterwards. "You guys have played against each other before, right?" Wakatoshi nodded, eyes squinting at Oikawa. (f/n) smiled and looked back to Oikawa. "That's good, less introductions."

Oikawa seemed to piece it all together after that, and he felt his heart sinking - they looked quite a bit alike, and (f/n) had called him his first name, and Oikawa was feeling like the least lucky person in the world. "You're siblings?" he asked, and (f/n) nodded, smile wide.

"Wakatoshi is my twin brother."

Oikawa's mood immediately dropped, and he let a bitter laugh escape him. "Of course - volleyball and school work, you do both of those better, and now you're the one person in the world that my soulmate would ever be able to choose over me." If there was anything Oikawa regretted the most in his life it was what he did next, but he was insecure and bad at handling his feelings, so he channeled all of his emotions and did what he did best - he was an ass. "Well, I guess it was nice meeting you, but I don't think this will work. I'll get home and cut the string tonight, so that I won't have to be soulmates with an Ushijima and you won't have to be soulmates with somebody that will never meet your brother's standards."

He didn't look at (f/n) as he turned to walk away, so he didn't see the crestfallen look on her face or the tears that started to form in her eyes. He didn't listen when she told him to wait, and he tried to ignore the tone in Wakatoshi's voice when he told his sister that she was going to be okay. He didn't tell Iwaizumi what happened until later that week, and he told his mom it was nothing when she asked him what was wrong. He didn't cut the string that night because he couldn't will himself to do it, but he assured himself he'd do it in a few days when he could convince himself that it was the best idea.