Tanaka Ryuunosuke || Glue

This is kind of a part two for the Nishinoya one shot I wrote titled "Feelings" don't have to read it to understand this though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tanaka always knew how to do the things (f/n) needed.

She wouldn't have to voice her emotions, her thoughts, her needs - he'd just show up with exactly what she needs, and make jokes until she was laughing freely, none of the previous signs of sadness in her features or her voice. Nobody had ever given him credit for being so good at reading people, so good at protecting and comforting the people he cared about in the world.

He protected Kiyoko like an animal, always keeping her safe, pep talked Hinata whenever he was doubting his abilities, helping the kid feel better when he would puke from his nerves, supported Nishinoya and Asahi and the entire team in everything they did - Tanaka was the absolute best at reading people and helping them.

So, when (f/n) was down about Nishinoya and Asahi dating, when she needed someone to bring her up and help her, he was there. Tanaka would stroll in with a giant smile and a hug that could crush bones, bringing (f/n)'s mood up solely with his arms of steel and his jokes. 

It was weird at first - (f/n) didn't want to go to Tanaka with her problems, didn't want to be a bother because all she was sad about was a gay boy that didn't return her feelings, couldn't return her feelings.

But Tanaka sought her out.

He'd come walking up to her with every intent on making her better, and it never failed to work, it was the only thing that worked. Soon she didn't even really need the comfort. Things became normal again between she and Nishinoya; she'd hang out with him and they'd talk about Asahi and Tanaka and play video games together.

There were a few moments when it was still awkward - Nishinoya would lean in too close and (f/n) would feel her heart beat pick up, he'd grab her hand like he did when they were kids and tug her behind him, but even those things started to affect her less and less. They were all replaced with the things Tanaka did - wrapping an arm around her shoulders, rubbing his fist too hard against her head, smiling at her the way he did - these were the new things that made her heart race and her cheeks heat.

When Nishinoya noticed this, he began to pester his two best friends, began to mingle in their relationship and force them closer. He'd make plans with both of them and back out, go hang out with Asahi and leave the two of them alone. They'd gotten so used to it that they'd started making some plans without him, hanging out just the two of them, (f/n) tutoring Tanaka on the weeknights, Tanaka teaching (f/n) how to properly play certain games on the weekends, Tanaka and (f/n) doing nothing and everything together.

It was a mess when (f/n) allowed herself to accept these feelings and confront Tanaka about them. She knew Tanaka wasn't gay - he'd told her many times that he was straight, but had no problem admitting to a man being good looking if they were - so she didn't have to worry about him rejecting her for Ennoshita or some shit.

He actually ended up being ecstatic, picking (f/n) up into his arms and spinning her around, overjoyed with the thought of the girl he liked liking him back.

"I didn't make a move because it's not cool to do that when a person isn't ready."

That sentence granted him a kiss and a few tears, (f/n) more than pleased that Tanaka had a heart like he did, a wonderful heart with room only for good things.

And then again, things were weird. Weird for (f/n) to admit to Nishinoya that she was dating his best friend, weird for Nishinoya to openly support her when her feelings had only just subsided, but it was all kind of right too. They were nearing the end of their third year when she told Tanaka - not seeing Asahi and Nishinoya together every day helped a lot in her being able to move on, and not much really changed between them and their friends.

Tanaka would hold her hand and kiss her cheek, but he grew way too flustered doing anything besides that, especially in front of anybody.

Tanaka always knew how to do things (f/n) needed.

He spent years making her laugh, making her feel better, and he planned on doing it forever. A happy (f/n) was all he needed, a (f/n) that would always smile and laugh and make him feel weightless. So he helped in that, made her happy when he could and fought through the bad times with her when he couldn't.

Their love was a mess - started out a mess, was currently a mess, would always be a mess, but that's how they liked it. No love was ever easy - it was tears and fears and heartbreak, but with Tanaka next to her (f/n) wasn't sad or scared or broken.

He didn't complete her, wasn't something that made her whole, he just helped hold her together. Tanaka was like glue, sticky and messy and strong, and that's all (f/n) could ask for. 

------------------------------

this was only supposed to be like 400 words

it's 903...

OH WELL. 

thank you guys so much btw for 5k reads - it isn't too many but I didn't even expect to get ten so it really means a lot to me ^.^