Oikawa Tooru || Proposal

Really wasn't going to post this until tomorrow but I couldn't wait oops. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first time Tooru proposed to (f/n) they both were six.

They'd been friends literally since they were born, parents pairing them up for everything - they even took some baths together when they were super young. They'd learned a lot together, started school together, played with their new next door neighbor Hajime together - everything.

And so, when his mother told him that the only way to not have to follow her rules was for him to get married and move out, Tooru went to (f/n). He took out the small rings he got from the twisty machine at the corner store and handed the prettier one to the girl in front of him.

"(f/n), you need to marry me," he said, his voice with a bit of a lisp because of his missing teeth. When (f/n) questioned why, Tooru looked at her with the most serious face he could muster. "I wasn't allowed to eat dessert last night because I didn't finish my veggies." He frowned at the memory. 

"But," he began excitedly, "my mom told me I wouldn't have to eat my veggies if I got a wife. So, (f/n), you gotta be my wife! We don't have to eat veggies if we're wives!"

(f/n) eyes widened. "So if you are my wife and I'm your wife we don't have to eat our veggies?" Tooru nodded with a large smile. (f/n) slid the ring onto her thumb, Tooru doing the same with his.

"Mom said we had to kiss to get married, but I don't wanna get cooties so I can't kiss you. But you put on the ring, so we're wives now."

They went into Tooru's house where their parents were happily chatting and declared that they were wives, flashing the rings to their parents with triumphant smiles. Their parents were silent before they laughed at their children loudly, explaining to them that if they were to get married (f/n) would be the only wife and Tooru would be something called a husband, which annoyed Tooru because wife was easier to say than husband.

For years (f/n) didn't tell Tooru that she kept the ring hidden away in her small jewelry box.

Tooru didn't tell (f/n), but he kept his too.

*****

The second time Tooru proposed to her, they were seventeen.

They were in their third year of high school, and the question had actually been what started their actual, real relationship. (f/n), having taken on the roll of the Seijou volleyball team manager, had always deemed it her job to make the boys snacks before tournaments. She was the most thoughtful manager in that aspect, and was even more thoughtful in the fact that she made them less healthy snacks for their rides home from tournaments and practice matches.

She was seated on the long seat in the back of the bus with Hajime and Tooru when the captain of the team first took a bite out of a cupcake (f/n) had made, immediately moaning afterwards.

"(f/n)-Chan," he said, not bothering to cover his mouth, crumbs falling out of it. (f/n) scrunched her nose in disgust, but made no move to judge Oikawa, understanding that she was, in fact, an amazing baker.

"These are so good, (l/n)-San!" Watari said before shoving the rest of the cupcake into his mouth.

"Ahh, thank you so much, Watari," the girl said, her eyes closed in a smile. Oikawa pretty much swallowed the cupcake whole before wrapping the girl up into a hug, rubbing his cheek against hers.

"You're so good at so many things, (f/n)-Chan, marry me so I can eat cupcakes like this all the time!"

(f/n) laughed and hugged Tooru closer to her. None of the other players were surprised at the behavior, the childhood friends always hugging each other, both loving the affection from the other. They probably didn't catch the 'marry me' words, but they realized them when (f/n) spoke next.

"We're already married Tooru, remember?"

Yahaba spit out the water in his mouth, almost spitting it straight on to Kyoutani, who was sat in the sat across the isle from him.

"What?!" Kindaichi shouted.

"When we were six Tooru and I became each other's wives," she told the entire bus full of people, a wide smile on her face. "He wouldn't kiss me because he didn't want cooties, but we had rings and put them on so we are - technically - married," (f/n) told them, the joking tone evident in her voice.

"Why even would two six year olds think of getting married?" Yahaba asked rather quietly.

"We didn't want to eat our vegetables anymore," Tooru explained, shrugging his shoulders.

That made the entire team laugh loudly, dumbfounded at the fact that Tooru and (f/n) were in fact stupid enough as kids to get married so they didn't have to eat their vegetables.

They kissed for the first time later that night after talking hours about their childhood and how cool it if one day they did get married, and all the stories they could tell their children about their lives together.

*****

Tooru proposed for the third and final time when they were twenty-seven.

They were finally moving out of their rundown apartment, and it was a bittersweet moment. The apartment deserved to be as rundown as it was because for the last six years it had seen too many anniversaries and parties, too many tears and fights, and so much love. But now they both had stable jobs, both were happy with their lives but wanted something bigger, more stable.

(f/n) was packing up the bathroom and Tooru the room, allowing nostalgia to overtake him as he went through things they'd gather over the years together, things they'd kept from their childhood that he hadn't seen in years.

It was when he came across a small, plastic bag with two rings in it that he realized he was a little behind on the game, having been dating his best friend for teen years without proposing. When he opened the bag the rings fell into his palm, and tears actually formed in his eyes at how small they looked - it felt like just yesterday he had the plain one on his finger, just yesterday he was calling himself (f/n)'s wife.

"(f/n)," he called, standing up to go meet her in the bathroom. She met him right in the door, frowning when she saw the tears on his face.

"Honey," she said, taking off the rubber gloves she'd been wearing. Tooru's eyes moved down to his hand, and he mumbled something that (f/n) didn't hear. "What did you say baby? Speak up a little," she said, tone still soft because why the hell is he crying?

"We should get married, (f/n)," he said, laughing afterwards, completely giddy at the thought of marrying the girl he'd been in love with for over a decade. "I want you to be my wife, (f/n), and I want to be your wife. We can be the best looking couple of wives in the entire world."

He got down on one knee, opening the hand with the rings. "I don't have a real ring yet, but I'll get one first thing in the morning. These will do for now, right?"

(f/n) was crying too, dropping on to her knees in front of Tooru.

"Of course, they're perfect, Tooru. I haven't seen these since we moved in here," she said, releasing a breathy laugh. She picked up her ring, comparing the size of it to her finger now. "We were so little," she commented, tears still running down her cheeks.

Tooru pulled (f/n) into a kiss, lips meeting a little ungracefully. "I can't wait for you to be my wife, (f/n)."

The girl giggled, hands grabbing the front of Tooru's shirt. "And I can't wait for you to be my wife, Tooru." 

------------------------------

okay but Oikawa really why you so fucking cute

like who tf told you you could do this to me????