Chapter 6

Melodi-

"Are you finally going to tell me why you look like someone just stole your best friend?" I ask, turning to face Trinity. She had been here for the better part of 2 hours and she still had yet to tell me what was bothering her. 

"I don't look like someone stole my best friend." She said, stabbing her chopsticks into her container. I gave her a look that said 'Really, who do you think you're kidding?' and she broke out in tears. 

"Hey, hey, hey. Trini what's going on? I've never seen you like this." I say scooting closer to her, removing the container from her hand and setting it on my coffee table.

"I'm sorry Mel. I didn't want to start crying but I don't know what else to do. I caught Micah cheating on me. Actually it's worse than that. I caught him cheating on me in our house, in our bed with his fiancé." She said trying to get control of herself, only for a new wave of tears to come. 

"Are you serious? His fiancé? I can't believe Micah would do something like that. I mean you guys have been together for 4 years." 

"I saw them Mel. I caught them in the living room after I got home from work yesterday. They had sex in the bed we had shared. And all he could say was he didn't want me to find out that way. And of course he had to hit me with the line about how he still cares about me and he's concerned about me and where I'm going to go, blah, blah, blah. Like if he didn't want to be with me anymore why couldn't he have said something." She sniffed wiping more tears away. Before I could answer her, a pounding knock sounded at my door. 

"Who could that be?" I got up from the couch, sending a sympathetic glance toward Trinity who was still trying to pull herself together, and walked to the front door.

"Who is it?" 

"It's Kaiden. Can I talk to you?" he asked, his voice filtering through the thick wood. My eyes widened and I shot Trinity a look, who sent one back that was just as perplexed as my own. 

Clearing my throat I answered back, "What are you doing here? We have nothing to talk about. You need to leave." He didn't say anything for a few moments leading me to believe he listened and left. For the 2nd time tonight disappointment ran through me, mostly because he gave up that easily. 

I started moving away from the door when his deep voice rang out. "Look Melodi, I'm not leaving until I talk to you and it's kind of hard to do that through a door. Can I just get a minute? Please?" He asked. 

I glanced at Trinity who motioned for me to open the door. "Talk to him." She mouthed to me.

Rolling my eyes, I sighed and opened the door to reveal a disheveled Kaiden. His hair looked like he had been raking his fingers through it for the last couple hours and he was still dressed in the suit he probably wore into his office earlier that day, but his suit jacket was missing and his shirt sleeves were rolled up revealing the tan skin underneath and the hint of a tattoo that was covered by the rest of his sleeve. 'Damn is there any look that he can't pull off. What I wouldn't give to run my fingers through his hair.' "Well you wanted to talk so talk." I said folding my arms across my chest.

His eyes traveled up and down my body, mentally undressing me as he went and that's when I realized what he was taking in. I didn't have a bra on and my arms were pushing my breasts up front and center in his line of view. It was a cold night so my nipples were peaked at attention but my only saving grace from baring all was the fact that my tank top was black and my porch light wasn't pointed directly at us. My shorts were riding up my drawing more attention to my legs and thighs than I wanted but I wasn't about to make it worse by pulling them down. His eyes snapped back to mine and even though I couldn't see them in the dark, I know his chocolate colored eyes were boring into mine. "Well?" I said nervously.