Chapter 36

My eyes lock on his as realisation hits me. Our assumptions were right; he is the one who sent us those notes. It's just too obvious. As I stand here in front of him, strangely confident and brave, I start thinking if he saw me and Louis together. Of course he did, he just told me that I'm busted.

"Who are you?" I ask, voice coming out steady and strong.

He gets his body off of the tree that he was leaning on and grins wickedly. "I don't think you're a fool, nor do I think that you don't know me."

"Conall." I answer shortly, holding my ground when I see him stepping closer to me.

"See? You're too smart," He scoffs. "But I think it all goes back to my little, naïve sister, doesn't it?"

"What do you want from me, Conall?" I ask, clenching my jaw and remaining strong and brave about this. He can't do shit to me, my father and Master Bradan are aware that I'm in the city. He won't have any proof against me.

"I want your death, filthy—blooded." He suddenly seethes.

I raise one eyebrow at him. "Well, unfortunately you're not getting that."

"You're a filthy—blooded sorcerer," he spits out. "You're a human's child, you must not live."

He is talking like a maniac.

I let out a bitter laugh before I say, "You have no powers over me, nothing that allows you to do shit."

"My father did it once, why do you think I'd be any different?" He coldly asks.

It takes me a few short seconds to let his words sink in. His father did it once. As soon as the memories hit me, I gasp. His father was the one who ratted the man out and his human lady and their child. His father was the reason behind the death of a beautiful family, and Conall is just as cruel and brutal as he is.

"You're just as awful as he is, aren't you?" I say in disgust.

"We're the ones trying to keep our kind pure and clean. Not full of filthy—blooded sorcerers and traitors!" He says loudly, suddenly becoming angrily defensive.

My jaw drops in shock as I yell, "You're a murderer! Who do you think you're? This is not your business; this is not under your authority. Don't think you're our chieftain, because you are not!"

In a swift move and in a blink of an eye, I'm held against Alfredo harshly with Conall's fingers wrapped around my neck. I gasp at the sudden loss of air as I try rapidly to take his hands off of me.

"It's those like you who don't understand the truth of the pure sorcerers' blood, it's those like you who deserve death." He breathes in my face, making me turn my head to the side as I keep struggling for air.

He forces me to face him, but before he can say anything, I mutter a quick, "Fuck you."

And just like how he surprised me, I surprise him by spitting in his face from the back of my throat before I quickly connect my knee with his crotch. I watch as he pulls back and I fall to the ground, his face twisting in pain as he holds onto his crotch and balls himself on the ground.

I don't think twice, I quickly snatch my bag and run out of the forest and to the streets. I keep pushing myself to run and run, not wanting to stop till I feel safe. I stumble a few times but I'm quick to catch myself and keep going. After five minutes of running, I stop suddenly and let myself fall on the sidewalk, my chest moving up and down rapidly and quickly as I keep wetting my lips.

I bend my knees and rest my hands on it, trying to catch my breath and calm down.

How did Conall know that I was with Louis? Was he following me or watching me? Or was he just there by accident? What does he want from me? His obsession with the 'pure sorcerers' is maddening and frightening. It's no surprise that his father was or is like that, no wonder he's the same. I start feeling bad for his sister. She seemed too fragile and simple when she was warning me about him; clearly she is nothing like those two monsters.