Chapter 58

I walk behind Wren in the tunnel, excited to see Peter once again. I have missed him so much, and the short calls weren't doing us any good.

She stops in front of a door and opens it, revealing a big and long table in the middle, surrounded by many shelf filled with hundreds of books. I immediately spot Peter sitting on one of the chairs around the table and I rush towards him, engulfing him in a big hug.

His chest moves with laughter as he hugs me back just as tight, rubbing my back up and down with his hand before we pull back and grin.

"I have missed you so much." I tell him, sitting down on the chair next to him.

"Me, too, darling." He sighs and smiles at me.

I raise my eyebrows at him with a suspicious smile and ask, "What brought you here?"

"Louis told me everything," He answers and then holds my hand between his. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was going to, I just didn't have the time; everything happened so quickly and unexpectedly." I answer with a sigh.

"Unexpectedly?" He gives me a 'really?' look and I twitch my mouth with a smile.

"I knew the consequences," I reply honestly. "I just never wanted to believe them until they actually happened."

"And now?" He smiles widely.

I let out a breathy laugh as I say, "I'm fucked."

He laughs with me before we both cut it off shortly. I take in a deep breath and look at him before asking, "What did Louis tell you?"

"Everything," He shrugs. "And that you won't let him help you, or anyone in that matter." He says.

"I just don't want anyone to be hurt because of me." I answer, tucking some hair behind my ear.

"Hurt is better than dead, Tallulah," He says. "And I'm sure they're not doing it for you."

"I know, I just—" I start but Peter cuts me off.

"Don't be a victim when you can be a winner," He smiles slightly. "You can win this thing, only if you can help and get help in return."

I take a few second to think about his words. I'm not trying to be a victim, not intentionally at least, I just want my friends and my loved ones to be safe, that's all.

But Peter is right, I should accept the help I'm getting, because it's priceless and I wouldn't want to waste it away. Maybe everything is hard for me now because I'm getting no one's help, and I'm sure that will change once we all work together.

I made a mistake by not accepting the help from the beginning, but I'll take it now because I need it; I need it for the sake of us all, I need it for the sake of everyone's freedom, and I need it for Louis.

I sigh and nod slowly, my lips breaking into a small smile as I say, "You're right, I guess I was just too blinded by the fear of losing someone."

"And that's the worst kind of fear," He replies immediately. "You should know that while you're seeking something, you'll have to sacrifice many things, or unfortunately, someone. It's something that you should accept, because nothing comes easy and if it did, then it won't last."

Nothing comes easy and if it did, then it won't last.

I stick and glue these few words to my mind, engraving them for their importance and their deep meaning.

"Thank you," I say quietly. "Coming to think of it, I actually need your help in something."

"What is it?" He nods immediately, looking too eager.