8. Choices

"I'm sorry, your highness, I have failed you

"I'm sorry, your highness, I have failed you. The girl now has the fire gem bearer."

"...Nonsense, general. This is all part of the plan... but, I will admit that I would have preferred it if you had killed the bearer."

"I am terribly sorry, your highness."

"You contributed to the gem's activation, which has satisfied me enough. There will be no use of collecting the gems if their powers are still sealed."

"...What about the other bearer, your highness? She is close to him as well..."

"...You know what to do, general."

-

"I don't understand, why did he save us?"

Yoongi was on the bed, his treated leg supported by a thick pillow. You were sitting on a chair next to him, glad that Jin had agreed to your proposal of switching bedrooms.

"I honestly have no idea, Yoongi...," You scratched your cheek and stared at your watch, its glow still fading since Jin just left the room a few minutes ago. "At least, we were able to escape, right?"

"Yeah, but...," Yoongi tried to adjust his position but he failed with a groan. You immediately helped him sit up, then he hugged the nearest pillow he saw. "Why? His gem is grey, isn't it? He doesn't know that he's a wonder so why would he help us? Didn't you also mention that you're on the police's watch list?"

"Both of us are, Yoongi," You stated matter-of-factly and giggled when Yoongi gave you a glare.

Still, you thought Yoongi was right. Why would Jin help you two of all a sudden, especially during a police chase? It made no sense to you, even more so after you found out -- through small talk with Jin -- that he was from a family of politicians. Thus, he had a good upbringing and was, well, rich.

Two possibilities came to your mind as you massaged your temple. First of all, Jin could know about his powers and he saved you and Yoongi because he knew that they were... like him. Second, and you hoped it wasn't right, Jin could be at the enemy's side, ready to kill you both at any moment, and was actually after Yoongi's gem.

You were hoping that the first option was right.

"We shouldn't trust him," Yoongi said, his face expressionless. Even though you've only been with him for a few days, you could tell that he was the kind of person who couldn't express his feelings well.

"Yoongi...," You carefully squeezed his arm, being careful not to hurt him. "I know that you're doubting Jin right now, I am too, but we should at least return the favor. I mean, he did help us. We would be in jail right now if he didn't."

Yoongi just stared back at you for a while, his grey bangs falling just below his eyebrows. Then, he sighed and averted his gaze towards the ceiling. "One percent."