52. Regrets

A/N - UPDATED JUST IN TIME FOR MY BDAY WHEEZE PLS ENJOY THIS EXTREMELY LATE CHAP ;;

"Your most gracious," A general seahorse soldier spoke as the doors of Tranen's castle opened, panting as he took deep breaths. As soon as he reached the throne, he bent downwards, bowing with a hand placed on his chest, shell helmet nearly falling off his head. "I have news from the princess."

Queen Daphne was calmly sitting on her pearl throne, swiping her koi tail upwards as she finger-combed her long blonde hair. Being too busy staring at the reflection of her mirror, she didn't spare a glance at the general. "I see. I'm assuming it is good news?"

"Yes, my Queen," The general said slowly, still bowing down, shoulders aching due to the big spikes on his shoulder pads. "Princess Lilith was successful. She has eliminated the water gem bearer and his fighting fish girlfriend. Now, she is returning with the water gem."

"Excellent," Queen Daphne chuckled darkly and tossed her mirror, her koi maid barely catching it. She gently swam towards the general, who was staring back at her with a smirk. Smiling, her next words came flirtatiously. "Would you care to accompany me to the dungeon, general?"

The general stared back intently as Queen Daphne ran her fingers down his face. It took a few seconds until he swallowed and responded: "Of course, Your most gracious."

Queen Daphne's chuckled once more as the general swam forward and disappeared behind the pearl walls as she followed closely. Passing through the same hallway with all the portraits of former rulers hanging on the them, she was greeted by a sudden darkness of the dungeon. She could already hear Witch Cassandra cackling all the way from the other side, making her roll her eyes. Both guards were still stationed next to the bolted metal door.

"Why the loud mouth, witch?," Queen Daphne hissed as she tightly grabbed the bars of the cell's small window. She could barely see the silhouette of Witch Cassandra inside, the cell's interior barely illuminated by the anglerfish's light. "Soon, Lilith will return with a golden corpse and the water gem. We koi and Hel will have full control over Tranen and nobody can stop us. We are victorious. Not much of a laughing matter to you, hm?"

"You are a fool," Witch Cassandra laughed as she appeared suddenly behind the barred window, slightly shocking Queen Daphne. She grinned with her pointed teeth. "Both you and your bratty daughter. Do you really think Tranen's wonder can be beaten that easily?"

"Be quiet, anglerfish. You should be thanking me because I saved your life. I had all the chance to kill you the moment you started a revolt against me and slaughtered my men but I didn't. I kept you alive," Queen Daphne leaned in closer to the bars, eyes flashing purple before fading back to their blue color. "So why don't you bow down to me, old hag? Just like how all your precious villagers will? With one of the wonders dead, the entirety of Vrede will bow down to me and Hel's King. So why don't you do the same?"