Prologue

"YoUr oNe AnD oNlY JoB iS To bE ThEiR gUidE AnD nOtHiNg ElSe."

Those were the one and only words I lived by. 

I face the Italian, finally getting to stand in front of him and yet again getting another look at him. Same curl, same auburn hair, same amber eyes. Same old, same old. 

It was a different loop this time, but similar to the rest. Someone died. I just can't understand it. Perhaps it's just because I've been watching the countless deaths of the other people who happened to stumble into the mansion. Perhaps it's just because I've watched unblinkingly as they were brutally murdered at the mercy of the Oni. Perhaps it's just because I've gotten used to the blood that leaked across the ground, staining the wooden flooring. Perhaps it's just because I've just forgotten how important the meaning of a death could be to someone. Perhaps it's just because I've maybe lost the desire to live and keep going. 

But once I look into those terrified, but confident and brave amber eyes I can't help but think: What kind of people would make someone this desperate to the point where they would literally go back in time just to save even a single life at times? 

So I did what I was always meant to do. I move away from the clock beside me, approaching him with that blank look on my face as always. 

I'm never to show emotion. I might just get too attached. I couldn't bear that. Then when I have to let them die it would mean more to me than just nothing. 

He backs away but I slowly extend an arm out, beckoning him closer. He hesitantly inches towards me and I gently grab one of his trembling hands, holding it tightly. A bright glow emitted from our entwined hands and his eyes widen and he looks at me in surprise. I simply gaze back at him with an empty stare, squeezing his hand as the glow started to slowly expand and shine with extremeness and certainty. 

"I'm sure you do not know who I am, but let me just confirm one thing. You would do anything, and I mean anything, to save the dear friends you have just lost. Does this sound right to you?"

"Yes. I'd do anything to get them back. Please, help me rewind the clock."

He knew it. He has tried it before and failed. To rewind the clock. He may control over the journal and time travel, but I am different. I control time in the Oni Mansion. 

I nod carefully, leading him toward the clock that ticked right in front of us. The glass door separating us from the pendulum lyre and the weights whisked open with a simple flick of my wrist. Using our glowing hands we gripped the pendulum lyre and held it firmly. The light burst, practically blinding Italy but I stood my place unblinkingly. 

When the light died down, we released our hands from the pendulum lyre then I looked at the Italian once more. The certainty glimmering in his eyes was all I needed to see. Our hands lock once more and the glow returned, warming the atmosphere. We detached our hands from one another, my pointer finger securely placed on the minute hand and his on the hour hand. 

"For my friends!"

His cheer made me tear up inside, but I wouldn't show it psychically. In perfect sync, we rewound the clock. And the last thing I heard before the world around me darkened was a simple,

"Thank you."