|ChApTeR tHiRtY fOuR| Missing Her

>ArE yOu ScArEd, giRL? FeArFuL? gOoD.<

"No...please, leave me alone."

>yOu DeSeRvE tO Be. sO suFFER. suFFer.<

"Who are you? What have I ever done to you??"

>yOu DeSeRvE ThE pAiN FoR DeCiDiNg tO WoRk wiTH ThE DeViL.<

"I-I need to get back to m-my friends."

>fRiEnDs? ThEy wErE NeVeR yOuR fRiEnDs, SiLLY.<

"What are you talking about? Is the devil...V-Vargas? I need to get b-back to him..."

>He dOsEn'T CaRe! hE OnLy bEfRiEnDeD yOu To MaNiPuLaTe yOu.<

"H-He wouldn't...do...that to me...

Would he?"

>iT WoULD bE BeTTeR iF yOu DiDn'T wAke Up. ThErE'S nO OnE tO Go bAcK tO AnYwAy. sO WhAt'S ThE pOiNt?<

"Yeah...maybe I could sleep...But wait, no. Stop it. What a-are you doing to me?"

>DoN'T wAke Up, LiTTLE giRL.<

>iF yOu DoN'T BeLiEvE Me...pErHaPs I cOuLd ShOw yOu ThE tRuTh...<

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

|Luciano's POV|

"She's not waking up."

"I can see that!"

Nothing was working. Holy Rome said he was going to do something to help her, but I couldn't just stand around and do nothing.

A frigid coldness swept across her body, turning her skin to ice. Her skin paled tremendously and she looked like she was freezing. Beads of sweat ran down her face, her cheekbones standing out prominently since it's been what felt like days and she's been using up all of her energy without having a source to fuel it. I've tried screaming into her ear, hitting her, which was harder than I expected, but nothing was enough to wake her up.

I don't know exactly why, but it hurt. I've hardly gotten any sleep, I was only able to do so once when Gilen chided me that she would've wanted me to get some rest. But after that, just thinking about her hurt. It really did, and I hated it. Frustration was consuming me. I very much preferred to be in control of things, so the anxiety and worry that came from not knowing if she would ever wake again ate me alive.

I also hated the pain I felt inside me. I can't pinpoint the exact word I can use to explain my feelings, but maybe you can call it loneliness. Without her there, I noticed a lot of things I missed about her.

I missed how I would take a deep breath whenever the tips of her lips lifted upwards. How, no matter how hard I try to control myself, her smile never ceases to amaze me, this sort of calming, radiance emitted from every bright and cheerful grin she made.

I missed how she would avert her eyes from mine when I compliment her, the blush tinting her cheeks as she put on that awkward, goofy beam that would never fail to cause my heart to thump rapidly against my chest.