|ChApTeR TwEnTy| Past

"My past will remind me but it will not define me."

-Andy Stanley

|Reader's POV|

It's hard fighting a monster that wants to slaughter you without a weapon.

Desperate as ever, I continued to duck and dodge, barely escaping near death. The Oni's attacks never slowed down, nonstop rapid fire of punches relentlessly attempting to hit me. 

I narrowly dove to the ground, the creature leaving behind a hole in the wall after its attack to my head. It retracted its arm from the wall, dust and stray pieces of wood raining down on my back. I breathed heavily, curling my fingers into a shaking fist. 

No matter what I tried, I couldn't summon my sword. Not when a familiar, yet mysterious voice kept whispering in my head,

'YoU wOuLd'Nt DaRe dRaW YoUr wEaPoN AgAiN. 

nOt WhEn yOu KiLLeD aLL tHoSe InNoCeNt pEoPLE.'

'S-Stop it...'

Images wildly flashed through my mind. Pools of blood at my feet, cries of terror falling short, the looks of surprise on their faces when their seemingly innocent, kind guide sliced a knife through their necks. 

'EvEn iF YoU hAvE KiLLeD bEfOrE,

fAcE It, LiTtLe (nAmE),

YoU wiLL NeVeR KiLL mE.'

"What you say is true." I whispered, pushing myself onto my feet. I shut my eyes for a few seconds, whipping them open with a smirk on my face, as if to signal the Oni to attack me. I bent my knees in preparation, lifting my arms in front of me. 

"I don't deserve to wield my sword now that I know I've killed so many people with it." I spoke calmly, concentrating intently. My eyes scanned the Oni as it swung its arm at me. My body reacted effortlessly, ducking my head to avoid its right arm and crossing my arms against my chest to block its left arm. "I also would never be able to kill you, you're right." I continued through gritted teeth, nodding stealthily. 

BANG

With a wave of Russia's pipe and a twirl of China's wok, two hefty weapons crushed both sides of the Oni's face. I swiftly pivoted to the side, releasing the pressure from my end so gravity pulled the Oni towards me. 

"But that's in the past. Before there was no one on my side, but I'm not alone anymore." I drew my arm back, a familiarly warm glow enveloping my hand. A sharp crack of Germany's whip along with the blinding light kept the monster's jaws at bay. 

"I may have killed before, but I changed. I will fight to protect the people I want to protect, and if I have to kill to get rid of something threatening my friends..." I turned to face the monster, raising my voice at the same time I raised my blade to its neck. "I will, doubtlessly, kill you." With both hands gripping my weapon's hilt, I mercilessly slashed my sword through the thing's neck. The Oni finally retired, buckling its knees as it disappeared. 

I brought my legs together, straightened my back and let myself relax, fresh blood splattering to the ground when I brought my arm to my side. "Good to see you again." I softly said, glancing down at my blood stained sword. I grasped it tightly and looked up, various pairs of eyes staring at me, all with the same glimmer of respect tinted with a bit of shock. "And good to see you all again, too."