|ChApTeR TwEnTy fOuR| Answer

(A/N: Yessss!! We've reached 5K reads! I'm so sorry that this came a little late I had a bit of an author's block ;-; However, for now, this'll be a regular chapter, perhaps a little shorter than usual. I'll make the 5K reads special, which'll be in two chapters or so, and probably over 2,000 words. Thank you for the support and I hope you'll continue to keep on supporting me throughout this roller coaster of feels and cliffhangers. Enjoy~!)

|Reader's POV|

"......There it is."

I stopped beside Japan, breathing heavily. Struck with fear, I made eye contact with the monster.

Oh, it had grown alright. It stood much taller than before. Power pulsed throughout the Thing's bulky, hefty, rigid body. Something had happened that made it stronger, and though I wasn't sure as to what it was, that isn't my concern at the moment. 

"J-Japan! Run, quickly!"  

"......"

I heaved my blade forward and raised it boldly towards the Oni. I inhaled deeply and calmly looked at Japan. "You thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Something along the lines, I suppose." Japan unsheathed his katana in one swift flick of his wrist. He lifted the long sword and smiled lightly. "It most certainly involves not complying with Germany's order, I'm sure."

"Great minds think alike." I gave a chuckle, but frowned a bit. "However..."

"Let's go, quickly! I'm worried about the others!" Italy shouted in a panic.

"I think he's right. We may have been lucky before, but that Thing looks different. A bad kind of different. If it calls for it, we will fight, but I feel that retreating for now and regrouping with the others is the best course of action." I explained carefully as I scanned the Oni.

"Hahah! I see now. This is what he meant..."

"Come on! Just run-"

"All together! That's it!" Italy suddenly grabbed my arm. "If we run, we can still make it!!"

"Y-Yes." Germany mumbled.

I glanced at Japan, who nodded and began heading towards the exit. I let Italy guide me right behind Japan. I sighed softly and allowed my arm to relax at my side. 

I titled my head and looked behind the shoulder. I glared intensely at the Thing, as if I were warning it to get the heck away from my friends, which is what I was aiming for. It let out a low growl when it met my eyes, gazing right back at me. It started to follow us, thunderous footsteps echoing in the hallway, a low growl cutting through the dark.

Prussia's red eyes stood out in the dark, making it easy for me to see that he had turned around and stopped in place right at the exit. "Japan!!"

"Prussia! Wait! Germany tripped over a rock!" Japan called in return.

"West!"

"Shit! Not in this place-" I twirled around and saw Germany's shadowy figure lying on the ground. He lifted his head. My breath leaped out of my throat when his eyes glowing blue eyes pierced mine, clouded with defeat. "Go!! I can't get this vine off!!"

"...Hh!" Italy grunted. I glanced at him, inspecting his shell shocked expression. The solid horror in his brown eyes showed me sincerity, anything but a lie. "Germany!" 

The terror of losing someone cannot be faked. The pure, untainted emotions of the heart will always overrule the lies you tell yourself in your head, no matter how long you've been hiding the truth.